KRIS Boyd today revealed how embracing the futuristic fitness regime at Rangers has helped him get in the shape - and form - of his life.

Boyd has often been criticised for his lack of mobility and his dubious workrate during his two-and-a-half often fantastic, but frequently frustrating, seasons at Ibrox.

Yet, his critics - and there are still a fair few despite his hugely impressive strike rate - have been unable to level that accusation at him in recent weeks.

For the 25-year-old has contributed far, far more to the Glasgow club's cause than just goals during the 2008/09 campaign.

Indeed, after his double in the 3-1 win over Hamilton at New Douglas Park in the SPL last weekend, Rangers manager Walter Smith declared Kris was in the best physical condition he has ever been in.

And the enigmatic player has told how working with Adam Owen, the Head of Sports Science at Murray Park, has been responsible for turning him into a far more complete all-round footballer.

Former Welsh professional Owen has introduced a wide range of modern training methods since arriving at Rangers from Sheffield Wednesday shortly after Smith returned last year.

Boyd said: "With Adam here at Rangers, every aspect of our fitness and diet is closely monitored and I, along with all of the boys at the club, have definitely benefited from that.

"They can put whatever training programmes and fitness regimes in front of you they like, but, at the end of the day, it isn't going to be any use to you if you if you don't want to do it.

"In the last three or four months I have really got my head down and probably worked as hard as I have ever done in training. Now I am starting to reap the rewards of that in the matches I am playing.

"You get out of the game what you put into it and that has definitely been the case with me in recent weeks. Hopefully, I will continue to do well and score goals in the weeks and months ahead.

"With the players we have in the team here we are always going to create chances. It is my responsibility to put them away and so far I have been doing that.

"It was a good to get back into the team against Hamilton after a pretty long lay-off and it has been great to score in my last two games. With any luck, that is me up and running now.

"There are so many good strikers here at the club that I know that if I stop producing the goods then there will be somebody there on the sidelines waiting to take my place in the team."

That fate will not happen any time soon if the former Kilmarnock hit man manages to maintain the purple patch of form he is currently enjoying.

He scored the opening goal in his side's straightforward Co-operative Insurance Cup quarter-final win over Hamilton at Ibrox on Tuesday night to take his tally for the season to seven.

And he is almost certain to start against Inverness Caley Thistle tomorrow in what will be his team's first league match at home since they played Motherwell over five weeks ago on September 21.

Who plays up front alongside Kris, though, is more of a dilemma for Gers manager Smith now with a clutch of top players all vying for a place in the starting line-up.

Boyd played in tandem with Jean-Claude Darcheville in midweek and partnered both Kenny Miller and substitute Nacho Novo to good effect last weekend.

In addition, Kyle Lafferty who scored a great header against Accies, has once again stated his desire to move from the left of midfield and play up front in the future.

However, Kris, who grew up in Ayrshire supporting Rangers, is totally unconcerned who he is in the team with - just as long as he gets a game.

He stressed: "I am happy to play with whoever the manager wants to play me with. The most important thing as far as I am concerned is just playing."

Many Rangers fans would like to see Boyd given a prolonged run in the team alongside Miller as they feel the pair have different strengths and would complement each other.

He said: "Every time I have played up front with Kenny I have felt we have done well together. I certainly enjoy playing with him. I think that, as a partnership, we have done well.

"Hopefully, we can stay injury free and get the chance to play together soon to build on our understanding. I think we can definitely play well together."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2464739.0.0.php

Was wondering what the original source for this was when I read it elsewhere.

Boyd seems happier and perhaps to have a better attitude. If he keeps improving the rest of his play it's good for Rangers, so hope it continues. Though i'm more worried about the goals continuing to go in.

Was wondering what the original source for this was when I read it elsewhere.

Boyd seems happier and perhaps to have a better attitude. If he keeps improving the rest of his play it's good for Rangers, so hope it continues. Though i'm more worried about the goals continuing to go in.

Glad to see that Boyd admits himself that he was taking the easy ride as some posters here were saying.

I suppose some people will always accept mediocrity though.:fish::flipa:

I couldn't care less if he plays well for 90 mins or 5 mins. If he plays & scores a goal or 2 & we win the match thus getting another 3 points that's all I care about. Not interested in pretty football at the expense of winning.

Mark

I couldn't care less if he plays well for 90 mins or 5 mins. If he plays & scores a goal or 2 & we win the match thus getting another 3 points that's all I care about. Not interested in pretty football at the expense of winning.

Mark

No point in discussing it then. You seem to know it all. Lets play 11 Boyds. Football, easy as shit, just put 11 poachers on the field.