Pedro Mendes hails Rangers teammate Boyd as top striker

RANGERS midfielder Pedro Mendes has hailed Kris Boyd the most lethal finisher he's played with.

The Portugal international has supplied the ammunition for some of Europe's sharpest strikers during his time at Porto, Spurs and Portsmouth.

But in the wake of Boyd's weekend hat-trick against Inverness at Ibrox, Mendes insists he is now playing with the best of the bunch.

Mendes' former team-mates include the likes of Robbie Keane, Kanu, Benni McCarthy, Nuno Gomes, Jermain Defoe and Freddie Kanoute.

But the player who has quickly become a favourite among the Ibrox support reckons only McCarthy, whom he played alongside in his homeland, comes anywhere near Boyd for ruthlessness in front of goal.

Boyd, who last month called time on his Scotland career while George Burley remains in charge, destroyed Caley Thistle with a first-half treble that took his season's tally to 10 goals in nine starts.

Mendes said: "I haven't really seen anybody as clinical as Kris. When I was at Porto, Benni McCarthy was similar and scored a lot of goals but Kris is fantastic at that."

Kenny Miller and Nacho Novo also struck against Craig Brewster's men after an awesome first 45 minutes on Saturday.

Miller bagged his first goal at Ibrox since his controversial summer return to move him on to five for the season while Novo put the disappointment over Scotland aside with the opener.

Mendes said: "Rangers at the moment have a great balance of forwards. They have forwards that can run into the spaces like Nacho, Jean-Claude Darcheville and Kenny and top finishers like Kris. It is a case of balancing those qualities.

"When all these things go together and you find the balance then it is easy and we can score more goals."

The Rangers attackers can also look back with a great degree of confidence seeing the likes of Mendes, Barry Ferguson, Kevin Thomson, Steve Davis, Charlie Adam, Steven Whittaker, Lee McCulloch, Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley all jostling for positions in the middle of the park.

Ferguson's second-half return on Saturday would have hadWalter Smith and the supporters rubbing their hands with excitement but Mendes is a fan of the skipper too.

Mendes has also rubbed shoulders with some of the best midfielders in Europe but reckons none of his previous managers had better options than his current boss.

Deco, Luis Figo, Maniche, Costinha, Michael Carrick, Rui Costa and Nico Krancjar have shared the midfield over the years with Mendes and the player said: "I am proud to have played alongside some great midfielders.

"At Porto and in England I have been lucky to have played with some top players.

"But I was very pleased when I moved to Rangers and I discovered how many good midfielders we have here. It is a pleasure to play with so many good players again.

"Throughout my career I have always been blessed to play with some of the best players so I'm very fortunate.

"It is good to come to Rangers and play alongside Barry Ferguson, Kevin Thomson, Charlie Adam and the others who weren't even involved on Saturday."

Mendes spent just over 30 minutes on the field with Ferguson on Saturday but insists he already knows how vital the captain is to Rangers.

He said: "It is good to have him back. It is the first time I have played alongside him but I can see he is such an important player for the team.

"He is such a great footballer so it is good to have him back.

"I can see from his time in the training sessions that Barry is a fantastic player."

Some people have suggested Mendes and Ferguson cannot play in the same midfield as they are too similar but the Portuguese insists such claims are way off the mark.

The 29-year-old said: "Each player has his own style and plays in a different way. I think we can play in the same team. The amount of good players we have is better for the team. Every one of the players can play alongside each other."

Mendes has certainly settled in well since his summer move from Pompey and his �£3million price tag already looks a bargain.

He said: "When you move to a different club, a different country and of course a different environment, it is difficult. But if you start performing well quickly that helps you to settle.

"I am happy with how things are going here and I want to keep that going and help the team to win even more games.

"Every player has their highs and lows but I am happy now."

He is in good company at Ibrox because every one of the players appeared to be enjoying their football as they swept the Highlanders aside with ease.

Mendes said: "After the game you can say it was an easy afternoon's work. But you have to look at the game and the performance we put in.

"The way we played and moved the ball around, particularly in the first half, we made things easy for ourselves.

"We started in the best possible way by scoring the goals with the chances we created and we seemed to take them all."

Right now Boyd certainly doesn't look like he is going to squander any chances Mendes creates.

I actually think Adam is still a good YOUNG player,inconsistent ?, yes,but still young enough to improve

Have watched Charlie from about 17 amd always thought he would make the grade, and hopefully he will, but I'm hoping he still is young enough to make the changes that will turn him into a first team pick, he will need to start soon though IMO.