Kevin Thomson - Out for Rest of Season?

The article that Beattie posted is just made up bullshit. How can anyone comment before the test results have been looked at? :confused:

That's from the official site so I'd imagine it's the doctor's first prognosis unfortunately.

That's from the official site so I'd imagine it's the doctor's first prognosis unfortunately.

The only time the doctor was mentioned in the article was when he "accompanied" Thomson to the hosptal.

There should be a quote of some sort in there to back up the journos claim.

The only time the doctor was mentioned in the article was when he "accompanied" Thomson to the hosptal.

There should be a quote of some sort in there to back up the journos claim.

It's not a journo - it's the RFC official site so I assume the information they have based their claim on is pretty genuine - most probably received from the doctor.

:( Terrible news.

If we want to keep the same balance and shape to the team then Edu would be the obvious replacement.

However, with Smith wanting to get Fergie back into the team, it makes his decision on who misses out much much simpler, though will mean a change in our style of play surely. I cannot imagine Mendes nor Fergie playing in a Thomson like manner. We might have more going forward but will likely be a little more vulnerable without the ball.

I'm not even sure how we'll line up with a middle four of Fergie, Mendes, Edu and Davis.

He may employ the midfield diamond that was mooted prior to Thomson's injury. Though I was never totally happy with having Thomson playing left of the diamond and would be even more concerned forcing Edu out there. :confused:

Mendes

Davis-----------Edu

Fergie

With the width having to be provided by Broadfoot/Papac.

I think Smith would be better off making a hard decision, dropping one or more of the central midfielders, playing a genuine LM and maybe even RM and pick his best team, instead of forcing his best 11 players into a formation they do not suit.

I think the diamond is the best formation but I agree having to shoe-horn players in there to accommodate people probably isn't the best idea.

Unfortunately, we don't have any other player really showing they can do the business there. Burke, Adam, McCulloch, Novo and Beasley have all failed to impress. Lafferty is the next best choice and deserves his chance but again I'm not convinced.

If we played a diamond though there is more onus on the "wide" players to play more centrally and as you say, definitely not convinced about Lafferty playing there. We can get away with him playing wide of a straight midfield 4, but I don't see his game suiting a role in the diamond.

I tend to agree with you guys. It's got to be time for Mo Edu to get a game now.

He's looked very sharp, quick and hard in the tackle when playing so i hope Smith thinks he's waited long enough. Hemdani for me is leaving at Xmas, although now Thommos out it could just tempt Smith to keep him till the summer now.

Total bad news with Thomson out of the whole of the campaign now. He was holding the play for the rest of the creative midfielders brilliantly and what a shame to break up what looked like a championship winning midfield.

Another possibilty could be this though.......

........................Davis...........................

....Fergie..................................Mendes...

......................Lafferty.......................

but i'd prefer.....

........................Edu............................

........Mendes.........................Davis.........

......................Fergie..............................

Edited by John Barr