Players' diets

Admittedly do not have the original source but thought this may make interesting reading:

PIQUE: UNITED PLAYERS LIVED ON BEER AND BURGERS

Gerard Pique has admitted that he couldn't understand what Sir Alex Ferguson was saying during his time at Old Trafford and claimed his former team-mates lived on a diet of "beer and burgers".

The defender left United to return to Barcelona in the summer but still seems baffled by his experiences in England.

'There were some incredible things happening at United," he told the Spanish press. "It [the diet at Old Trafford] was outrageous. Everyone ate whatever they wanted to eat and when you think about the typical English diet, you can imagine what I am talking about.

"The players were allowed to eat what they wanted and it must be remembered that the English diet is just like people say.

"Every two weeks we were checked out on a machine that measured the amount of body fat. You would be amazed at how many top players practically broke the machine because their diet was based on beer and burgers."

But the diet of the United players wasn't the only thing that left Pique baffled.

"I arrived not being able to speak English and I got lost a little bit in the team-talks. The gaffer, as Ferguson is known in Manchester, spoke a very Scottish kind of English that might as well have been Chinese as far as I was concerned. But I wasn't the worst - there are players in the current squad who still don't understand him

When reading this and thinking about the peice that was linked to on here regarding Phelps' (US record breaking swimmer), people might want to think before going bezerk (sp) because they saw a player eat a pizza one night or go to Greggs. Although the kind of OTT criticism you read is not too prevalent on here.

Obviously the players cannot live on a diet of junk food, but the odd indulgence will not hurt them. Also look at Man U and their Sports Scientist advocating pizza for post match meals to replace energy used.

Edit: I meant to highlight this is the PL and CL champions who are having their diet knocked. Doesn't add up to me.

Edited by Super_Ally