We'll Always Be Friends

By Lindsay Herron

DICK ADVOCAAT was greeted by David Murray on the doorstep of his Jersey home on a wintry day in early 1998 and he know instantly that a special bond was about to be made.

Advocaat is like many Dutchmen. He is pragmatic and he has an instant feeling for things. He knew in an instant that he and David Murray were about to become very good friends.

Dick AdvocaatIn four action-packed years, Advocaat brought some of the most exciting players ever seen, delivered the Treble, gave Rangers credibility in Europe and instigated the building of Murray Park.

There were tough times too, of course, but through it all Advocaat and Murray remained firm friends. They still are. They always will be.

Advocaat told me: "The first day I met him the snow was falling as I approached his home in Jersey. He came out of the house to greet me when I arrived and in that moment I had a special feeling.

"My first impression of him was a great impression and I felt right way that this was going to be a good situation.

"In my view the only way to do your job well as a coach or as a manager is if you have a good relationship with the main man.

"We used to speak to each other many times a day and he knew exactly what was happening. It was the ideal way for me to work.

"For me and my family the best time in my life was spent in Scotland with Rangers.david murray and dick advocaat open the rangers training ground, murray park

"They are a special club and they were special times when I was there.

"I think every manager hopes to work with someone like David and I was lucky.

"He is a very unique individual. Everyone knows about his terrible accident when he was a young man, but I never heard him complain once about his disability."

Advocaat and Murray both moved out of the frontline at Ibrox around the same time and selected Alex McLeish as the new manager.

The Dutchman added: "When I realised that David was thinking about stepping back from the club on a day to day basis, I decided it was the right time for me too.

"We both decided that Alex was the best candidate to take over and I think we did the right thing because Alex did very well.

"My best memories are when we used to go for dinner after games or have a couple of drinks.

"I used to go to his house and he would prepare dinner for me. We would also regularly watch Champions League matches on TV."

Fate drew Advocaat and Rangers together in last season's UEFA Cup Final and the Dutchman, who guided his Zenit St Petersburg team to victory, admits it gave him mixed emotions.

He said: "I am a RDick Advocaat was largely responsible for bringing Alex McLeish to Ibroxangers man and I always will be because it was the best part of my life.

"So when we were drawn to play Rangers in the final it was an emotional moment for me.

"Of course, I said to myself that if my team wins then I am happy. If Rangers win then I am not happy but I would have been happy for David and everyone at Rangers.

"It was a strange feeling when the game was played. When we scored the first goal I showed no emotion because I wanted to show respect to Rangers.

"I feel we were the better side on the night and deserved to win the game.

"But I realise what the implications could have been for Rangers. The players would have become legends like the Barcelona Bears. They would have been revered for years to come."

Advocaat still keeps in touch with his old friend. He added: "We scarcely disagreed. We had some discussions but every time there was a solution.

"David was a friend from the start and he will remain a friend forever."