STEVIE WHITTAKER is hoping to hold onto his place in the side as Rangers get set for a lunchtime showdown with Hearts.

Whittaker, of course, knows all about Tynecastle having played in many Edinburgh derbies in his Hibs days.

He has played in the left back slot in the last two matches - a 2-1 win over St Mirren and a 2-0 victory against Aberdeen.

Sasa Papac, RangersHowever, with Sasa Papac fit again for this weekend the versatile player may be seeking another position in the team.

He said: "With the strength of the squad right now it is taking a player to be injured for others to get their chance so when you are called upon you have to do your best.

"I have recovered from injury and I have kept my head down. I have now managed to play a couple of games in a row and hopefully I can go on a run now and manage to stay in the team.

"Playing left back is a position I can fill in. It's not one of my favourite positions. I prefer to be on the other side of the pitch but I'm just happy to be in the starting 11.

"Hearts are going well at the moment so we are expecting a tough game. It's always difficult there and we will need to take our best game with us and hopefully come away with three points.

"Hearts gave us a tough game at Ibrox earlier this season and I'm sure it will be equally testing at Tynecastle.

"We played well that last time we were there. Hearts couldn't handle the pace we played at that day and hopefully it's the same this weekend.

"We are scoring goals at the moment. Boydy is playing well right now and when that is the case goals usually come so that's fantastic.

"He and Jean-Claude both scored last weekend so that has us in good stead for this weekend."

With Papac fit again it will be interesting to see who WS plays. I think he will keep Broadfoot and Whittaker. However id have Whittaker at RB and Papac at LB.

Broadfoot filled in well at RB but its not the position he was signed for and id try him out next to Bougherra in the centre.

I hope Whittaker doesnt get moved to midfield. I dont like him there as he is similar to Adam in that he will try something more difficult than the simple pass.

I think WS will go with Papac and Broadfoot.

If Bougherra is fit he will go with Bougherra and Weir. Broadfoot could be the natural successor to Weir in the centre but he looks pretty comfortable at RB just now. I think next season would be the time to start with a "new look" back line.

Start of next season I see our starting back 4 being :

Whittaker-------Bougherra--------Broadfoot-------Papac/S. Smith

Which, on paper looks quite solid, but lacking in pace.

Whittaker-------Bougherra--------Broadfoot-------Papac/S. Smith

Id be easing that in this season in some games and keeping Weir for the likes of this saturday at Hearts and Celtic games.

If WS could unearth another Bougherra type player for next season to partner MB then il be happier.