by David Melvin

GREGG Wylde could scarcely have hoped for a better opening to his first term as part of Rangers' under-19 set up.

The young left back has made himself a first choice in Billy Kirkwood's defence and last month collected the Clydesdale Bank's rising star award for the SPL youth league's best performer.

But the talented 17-year-old is refusing to get carried away and insists he will keep his head down and continue to work towards his long term goals.

He said: "I feel I've started quite well and hopefully I can keep that going throughout the rest of the season."

"Greig Wylde in actionIt was good to get the award and it's something I'd like more of in my career in the future, but this is just a nice way to start.

"It was a great boost to get recognised in that way but when I was first told about it, it was a real surprise."

Wylde has already managed three goals from the full back position, including one in last month's convincing 6-0 win over Brora Rangers in the Youth Cup at Ibrox.

That victory set up a fourth round tie with Dumbarton on Sunday again set to be played at the club's famous home.

Wylde admits he enjoyed the experience of getting on the score sheet in such a significant fixture as his side kicked off the defence of a trophy that Kirkwood's teams have won in each of the last two seasons.

He added: "I've enjoyed the start to the season with the under-19s and although we haven't been playing too well recently we've been grinding out results.

"It's been good to get forward and get a couple of goals, but as I've said it's just a start and it's up to me to keep it going through the season.

"I've got license to get forward and I like starting from that position because you can see the game in front of you better. I'm there to defend first and foremost but a full back can be an attacking option too.

"I'm happy anywhere as long as I'm playing although it's fair to say my best position is probably left back but wherever Billy Kirkwood needs me to play I'll be happy to do that.Gregg Wylde

"It was a great experience to get another game at Ibrox last month. I'd played there a couple of times at younger levels but that was a cup game and it was a different atmosphere.

"It was nice to get a goal there too in what was an important game for us. Although this is my first year in the 19s we know that we've got a cup to defend.

"It's important for the new group to make it three out of three. Rangers need to be winning trophies no matter what level it's at because that's what the club is all about.

"This game against Dumbarton will be a tough one and we'll need to approach like we would any other game in the league."

Wylde's approach to the game has seen him tipped for big things in the future but the Scotland youth star admits for now he is concentrating only on the aspects of his game that he can improve.

He admitted: "I know there is plenty to work on and my delivery is just one thing that I need to spend time on.

"It's not just about getting in the right positions; you need to deliver well once you get there.

"But with all the help I get from the coaches here I feel I am progressing and I hope that continues."

Despite having beBoyd congratulates Fleck after his great strikeen one of the youth players invited to train with the first team already this season, Wylde admits he is not thinking too far ahead as he looks to build on early season successes.

He said: "At the moment I'm only concentrated on the 19s. It's my first season at this level and I'd expect a couple of years with the 19s and then on to the reserves and we'll see what happens from there.

"There are guys in the first team squad now that have followed that path and that's the benchmark for all the guys in the youth teams here. We're all aiming to follow in their footsteps.

"There are plenty of examples for us young guys to follow. The likes of Alan Hutton, Chris Burke and Stevie Smith all got their chance after doing well in Murray Park's youth teams.

"And last season John Fleck got off the bench in the Scottish Cup Final and he was only 16 then.Billy Kirkwood

"That's encouraging for all of us in the youth department as it shows that you will get a chance if you perform well consistently."

Wylde has certainly managed that so far this season and his coach has been delighted with his progress.

Billy Kirkwood said: "Credit to Gregg; he's been fantastic from the left back area and wide on the left.

"He had three goals in three games at one stage and he's been doing very well. He has a great asset in his pace and down that left side he delivers a great ball in to the box.

"He's shown a good consistency and hopefully some of the other lads can do the same and pick up the rising star award through the season.

Did you not post this same article last week Ian ?

Here you go Craig,the article I posted earlier.

RANGERS Under-19 star Gregg Wylde has scooped the Clydesdale Bank's rising star award after a run of excellent displays for Billy Kirkwood's side.

Gregg WyldeThe young full back is enjoying his first term with the 19s and has popped up with three goals in his nine appearances so far this season.

His performances from both left back and left midfield have caught the eye and he admits he was delighted to receive the recognition for his positive start to the campaign.

He said: "It's good to get the award and it's something I'd like more of in my career in the future, but this is a nice way to start.

"It's a great boost to get recognised in this way and when I was first told about it, it was a real surprise."

Wylde has contributed to a steady start from Kirkwood's side as they aim to defend the title they won last season and he is enjoying the step up to a new level.

He added: "I've enjoyed the start to the season with the under-19s and although we haven't been playing too well recently we've been grinding out results.

Greig Wylde in action"I feel I've started quite well and hopefully I can keep that going throughout the rest of the season."

It is a sentiment echoed by Kirkwood who feels the defender's recent performances make the award a thoroughly deserved one.

And he is hoping some of his other young stars can follow Wylde's example and earn themselves a similar accolade.

He said: "Credit to Gregg; he's had an exceptional month. He's been fantastic from the left back area and wide on the left.

"He had three goals in three games at one stage and he's been doing very well.

"He has a great asset in his pace and down that left side he delivers a great ball in to the box.

"Hopefully some of the other lads can do the same and pick up the award through the season."

Edit/Delete Message