by Alison McConnell

RANGERS midfielder Aaron has revealed he was so excited to make his Ibrox debut that he shunned a club night out to go home and call his folks.

The 19-year-old, currently on loan from Valencia, set up a goal for countryman Nacho Novo in the 7-1 win over Hamilton and was thrilled to finally get the chance to take his bow in front of the Ibrox support.

"After the match there was a get-together to celebrate the victory," he said.

"I didn't go because I wanted to go home and think about my debut.

advertisement

"I tried to call my father but I couldn't remember his number because I was so excited.

"I had to get my contacts book out to get the number to call him. Then I spoke to my brothers, my mother and my friends."

Aaron's mentor during the past few months has been Novo, and the striker has been giving the player plenty of advice.

"Nacho dedicated his goal to me in the celebrations and I was delighted with that," he said.

"Nacho had always told me to gamble and send crosses into the box because there would always be people there to finish them off - and if they weren't then it would be their fault, not mine.

"So I sent the ball in and fortunately Nacho was there to put it in the net.

"Afterwards all the coaches and my team-mates congratulated me on my debut. Nacho said less at that point, I think he just wanted to stay in the background. But he has helped me so much over these past few months."

And the player is looking to make his mark in the SPL in the weeks to come.

"I know I must continue working hard, but at least the coach knows he can count on me when he wants," he said.

"My debut has served to show the level that I can give in matches of this significance."

Meanwhile, Maurice Edu has admitted that he is struggling to adapt to the physical demands of the SPL.

The American international cost Rangers �£2.7million this summer when he was plucked from Toronto, but he has featured only twice for Walter Smith's side.

"I've found the SPL to be a lot more physical than the MLS and the National Collegiate Athletic Association," he said.

"Though I've not been involved in too many games yet, you can see the level of intensity that everyone competes with.

"The amount of challenges and tackles are increased and every game is a battle. Even in training it is more physical as everyone is competing for a spot on the pitch."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2474006.0.0.php

The journalist who wrote that article must've been really struggling to write something more interesting. Who really cares if he missed a get together to phone his parents back in Spain? :sleep:

Edited by Gazza_8

If it was me, I'd never have passed up the get-together with first team players.

Aye but the foreign players would be disgusted by the binge drinking and monster munching of the Scottish boys. Don't want Aaron getting dragged down with that. :devil:

Well i thought that was a good wee story personally.

I really rate Aaron very highly and i was delighted to see him get TWO assists against Hamilton.

So, having played one game with two assists that really does show that the boy is a good prospect indeed.

Now he has shown what he can do and has broken the ice at last with the first team i honestly think we'll see the best of this lad now.

Good on you wee man. Go show them what you can do.