MADJID BOUGHERRA admits the pressure is on Rangers to win this weekend's Old Firm clash with Celtic at Ibrox.

Walter Smith's men go into the game trailing the Parkhead outfit by four points at the halfway stage in the championship.

bougherra_160Defender Bougherra expects Gordon Strachan's team to push for victory as they try to gain revenge for Gers' 4-2 win the last time the sides met.

But he realises the visitors would be happy with a draw too for the sake of preserving their lead and he knows it's up to the Light Blues to ensure they go home empty handed.

Bougherra said: "This is one of the big games in the championship because Celtic are in front of us and we are four points behind them.

"We need to come back and win to ensure we stay close to them at the top of the league table.

"I'm still quite new in Scotland so I haven't followed the game here too much but I know Celtic have a good team.

"They are leading the league so it really goes without saying they have some good players.

"They can come to Ibrox with no more pressure on them than we've got. They're the ones with a four-point lead and a draw would be okay for them.

"At the same time, they will try beat us because we won against them last time and we must make sure that doesn't happen."Madjid Bougherra

Bougherra insists losing would not spell the end of Rangers' title hopes should they slump to defeat in the derby.

It would certainly make overtaking their Glasgow neighbours in the league table more difficult but the Algerian feels that would still be possible were Gers to come off worst.

The stopper, who should be fit to play tomorrow, added: "Losing would not destroy our title ambitions.

"The last time I spoke to the press, we were seven points behind and now we're four away from Celtic.

"If we had won at Dundee United, the gap would have been down to two and that shows how quickly things can change.

"The championship is long and there is still half a season to go. At this point, we have another 19 games to play yet."

by Bert Mitchell

MADJID BOUGHERRA has revealed that he can't wait to soak up the atmosphere of tomorrow's Ibrox Old Firm derby clash.

The big stopper looked on in awe as he surfed the Old Firm adrenaline ride for the first time at Parkhead as Gers bashed the Bhoys 4-2 in the first encounter of the campaign.

But Magic believes that the return encounter at Ibrox tomorrow will be even better because it will be dominated by the red, white and blue legions.

Madjid said: "I am really looking forward to going to the stadium and seeing the colours of both sets of supporters lighting up the stadium and feeling the passion they have for their teams building the atmosphere up.

advertisement

"It was fantastic at Celtic Park in my first Old Firm game, but I'm sure it will be even better at Ibrox because we will have over 40,000 Rangers supporters in our ground.

"But there is no doubt for me these are the biggest games I have played in. I had not played in any real derbys before, but in any case the Old Firm game is on a different level."

But while he is relishing the prospect of plying his trade in the seething clamour of Old Firm battle, Magic admits that home advantage could prove a double-edged sword for the Light Blues.

The 26-year old said: "I think for us there is an advantage that the game is being played at Ibrox as we have over 40,000 Rangers fans supporting us and urging us on to victory and of course we are unbeaten at home and have always played well there.

"But there is also a disadvantage in that the pressure is on us to win at home and on top of that we are four points behind and we must cut that to a point and not allow it to open up. So we must be careful but we must also make sure that we win."

Bougherra added: "But at the same time the championship will not be won or lost at Ibrox tomorrow as there is along way to go and many points to play for. But we want the three points."

Sounds to me like he will be playing