RANGERS would be committing championship suicide by flogging the family silver in a bid to balance the books.

Former Ibrox favourite and SunSport columnist Billy Dodds believes the sale of Barry Ferguson and Kris Boyd would rip the heart out of Gers.

Skipper Fergie has been linked with a �£2.5million move to Newcastle while we revealed this morning that Boyd is a �£3m target for Alex McLeishâ��s Birmingham.

Dodds knows his cash-strapped old club could be tempted to cash in � but he has warned them they�d be kissing their SPL title hopes goodbye if they did.

He said: ââ?¬Å?The way things are going for Rangers right now you just canââ?¬â?¢t imagine Walter Smith would entertain selling either of them.

ââ?¬Å?I could name a few others Iââ?¬â?¢m sure heââ?¬â?¢d like to get shot of first before heââ?¬â?¢d even consider parting with Boyd or Ferguson.

ââ?¬Å?The title race is far from over and to win titles you need to have your best players available ââ?¬â? Boyd for his goals and Ferguson for his leadership qualities.

ââ?¬Å?Business is business I suppose, but I donââ?¬â?¢t think Rangers can afford to sell them.

ââ?¬Å?The only way they would be tempted is if silly money was offered. But the figures being quoted arenââ?¬â?¢t in that bracket, nowhere near it.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers themselves are operating in the market weââ?¬â?¢re talking about here. I donââ?¬â?¢t think itââ?¬â?¢s feasible.

ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t think itââ?¬â?¢s the right time, the right players or the right money. If they were to sell both players Rangers are 100 per cent certain to lose the title.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s a massive gamble and one Iââ?¬â?¢m sure Smith wonââ?¬â?¢t entertain. They would lose even more money by losing out on the title.ââ?¬Â

Rangers fans will be reeling from the news that Big Eck has his sights set on Boyd to lead Brum�s push for promotion back into the Premier League.

But Dodds says Gers should throw out his cheeky �£3m bid for a player he rates around �£5m â�� and worth his weight in goals.

Doddsy explained: ââ?¬Å?If you take Kris Boyd out of the team thereââ?¬â?¢s not another striker at Rangers who comes close to matching his return. Thatââ?¬â?¢s why Iââ?¬â?¢d laugh off Birminghamââ?¬â?¢s bid of Ã?£3m.

ââ?¬Å?When you think of the money thatââ?¬â?¢s swilling around the Championship and some of the fees already shelled out then you would have to say Boyd falls into the Ã?£5m category. I think heââ?¬â?¢s worth that easily.

ââ?¬Å?Boyd is invaluable to Rangers. His goals can help catch Celtic, Iââ?¬â?¢m sure. Sell him in January and the Gers fans can forget that.

Advertisement

ââ?¬Å?The other problem would be replacing him. Smith would have to buy someone else if he offloaded Boyd and where do you find a striker like Boyd for Ã?£3m? Players like that are hard to come by.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m not having these people who judged him on one game against Celtic. Play him three or four times and if he doesnââ?¬â?¢t score then fair enough.

ââ?¬Å?But heââ?¬â?¢s scored for his country and is scoring for fun in the SPL. Heââ?¬â?¢s the best finisher in the country by a mile. Thatââ?¬â?¢s why heââ?¬â?¢s worth more than Ã?£3m. Rangers would be mad to sell him for that.

ââ?¬Å?Alex McLeish knows what he would be getting, heââ?¬â?¢s the man who signed him for Rangers.

ââ?¬Å?Birmingham are struggling to score goals and thereââ?¬â?¢s no doubt Boyd is the answer. But Rangers canââ?¬â?¢t afford to let him go ââ?¬â? and thatââ?¬â?¢s the bottom line.ââ?¬Â

Ferguson is another player Dodds reckons Gers can�t afford to lose. The captain is edging back to his best after ankle surgery kept him sidelined for the first five months of the campaign.

Dodds said: ââ?¬Å?Ferguson is hugely influential at Rangers. I know. I played alongside him.

ââ?¬Å?Heââ?¬â?¢s had his critics this season but give the guy a break, heââ?¬â?¢d been out injured for five months.

ââ?¬Å?I think you saw the real Barry against Dundee United a few weeks ago. Heââ?¬â?¢s getting back to his best slowly but surely. It was always going to take time.

ââ?¬Å?Listen, Barry is a moaning faced so-and-so but thatââ?¬â?¢s only because he loves to control games.

ââ?¬Å?He loves to dictate and thatââ?¬â?¢s why he doesnââ?¬â?¢t like to push forward high up the park too early.

ââ?¬Å?He doesnââ?¬â?¢t dictate when he pushes up the field and itââ?¬â?¢s no coincidence that in the last few weeks heââ?¬â?¢s been dropping off.

ââ?¬Å?Barry is still a Ã?£4-5m player. He went for Ã?£7m a few years ago, remember.

ââ?¬Å?Newcastle are talking about a Ã?£2.5m bid but that should be laughed off too. Heââ?¬â?¢s worth at least double.ââ?¬Â

Gers boss Smith is bracing himself as Newcastle and Birmingham prepare concrete bids.

Dodds said: ââ?¬Å?Rangers would only let them go if it was top dollar we were talking about but itââ?¬â?¢s not.

ââ?¬Å?The destination of this seasonââ?¬â?¢s title depends on it, Iââ?¬â?¢m sure.ââ?¬Â

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2097860.ece