WHEN the January transfer window slammed shut at 5pm on Monday night it would have been understandable if Walter Smith breathed a deep sigh of relief.

Having batted away more questions about player speculation than Babe Ruth hit home runs the gaffer can now focus his full attention on forthcoming games and he is not the only one glad to see the back of this unsettling period.

Allan McGregor celebrates at the final whistleAllan McGregor was one of several first-team regulars linked with a move away from Ibrox in recent weeks due to his high market value but the club's No. 1 is delighted his immediate future is now set in stone.

The talented keeper, who celebrated his 27th birthday on January 31st, admits he has unfinished business at Rangers and that helping his teammates lift the SPL trophy in May is at the top of his priority list.

Leaving the club with a domestic treble hanging in the balance was never on Greeg's agenda and he is confident of adding to his medal collection from now until May.

He said: "Personally, I am glad to see the back of the transfer window.

"So much is said in newspapers and on websites about this player leaving or that one going somewhere else that it can become a bit annoying.

"But, for me, all the rumours just go in one ear and out the other.

"I don't tend to read papers at the best of times so I take everything with a pinch of salt.

"If something happens and a player does move on that is part and parcel of football.

"We have a very big squad and the biggest difficulty the gaffer has is keeping everyone happy.

"If you have 28 players there are inevitably some that are going to be frustrated at not being involved, that is only natural. Allan McGregor saves a shot on goal

"But I suppose the biggest worry in January is when you lose a key player, someone who has been a big part of the team in the first-half of the season.

"Last year we sold Alan Hutton who was brilliant but Spurs obviously offered a lot of money.

"At that time it was a blow but we regrouped and big Kirk came in and has done a great job.

"That is the sort of thing that can happen to any club and you have to deal with it.

"I am just glad all the rumours and speculation is now over and we can move forward."

Allan McGregor, ScotlandAllan believes there is a steely determination in the Gers' squad to bring the SPL trophy back to the Ibrox Trophy Room in May and insists that if this dream scenario becomes a reality it will be up there with the best moments of his life.

He said: "If we do win the league you will see on my face just how much it means to me, it would be frightening.

"I remember how it felt to win the championship being on the bench at Easter Road in 2005 so I can only imagine what it would be like if we can do it this season.

"But at this moment lifting the trophy is just a dream and it's alright saying you would love to win it, the fact is we have to go on and actually do it.

"There is still a lot of football to be played and we have some massive games coming up.

"The players here always stick together and if we have a disappointing result on a Saturday we pick ourselves up as soon as possible.

"It's been like that a wee bit this season, there has been a lot of disappointing results but we are still in it.

"We maybe shouldn't be with the amount of points we have dropped but we are and there is still so much to fight for."

This weekend Walter Smith's squad continue their quest to retain the Scottish Cup when they travel to Forfar to take on the Loons in round five.

Station Park might not be the most glamorous of venues but it is a place Allan holds close to his heart. Allan McGregor

On February 24, 2002 the keeper was handed his long-awaited Rangers debut by Alex McLeish and he remembers it vividly to this day.

The Light Blues were 6-0 up when Greeg's replaced Stefen Klos as a 73rd minute substitute but, nevertheless, it remains a highlight of his career.

He said: "Going on against Forfar back then was great for me although it came as a real shock.

"I was doing a wee warm-up at the side of the pitch and Andy Watson came over and asked me if I wanted to go on.

"I thought he was at the wind-up because Stefan wasn't injured or anything like that.

"But he was serious and I just said 'go on then, let's go' and that was me making my debut.

"We were 6-0 up at the time and I didn't really have too much to do but it was still magic to get a game, I was buzzing.

"I remember the changing rooms were small and it was really cold but it was a special moment for me.

"You always remember where you made your Rangers debut."