by Lindsay Herron

IAN DURRANT was just a kid when he sampled the Old Firm atmosphere for the first time and he handled it like a seasoned professional.

He has no doubts John Fleck can do the same on Sunday if he is selected for the third Rangers-Celtic showdown of the season.

Fleck is in line to make his debut in the often volatile Glasgow derby having performed very well in the last four Rangers matches.

And first team coach Durrant, who was 18 when he made his bow in this fixture back in 1985, insists the teenage star is ready.

He told Rangers World: "He can handle it. Of course it's a big arena and it's an Old Firm game but he is in the first team on merit and we have been happy with his contributions.

"He is a very good football player and the other parts of his game will come with the more experience he gains.

"Right now he is enjoying his football. At his age there are no barriers. He just wants to get out there and play."

Rangers, of course, can go top of the league for the first time since the beginning of November.

Durrant added: "The incentive is there. We know if we win the game we can go on and win the league.

"But I'm sure we would be delighted with a draw. As long as we don't lose the game I think we can be happy.

"The down side of it is that we have had a few players on international duty and we can only hope that they come back unscathed.

"If we have a clean bill of health then it will give the manager food for thought for Sunday.

"It would be great if we could win on Sunday but it is the toughest of venues. We know that Celtic will be hurting from the 4-2 game earlier this season but if our attitude is right and we produce the same form then we can win the game.

"We are on a great run. The boys can hopefully keep the run going."

Edited by ian1964

So long as Walter or Ally take him to one side and warn him about the atmosphere and hatred every time he goes to take a throw-in. I'm sure Hinkel will try to wind him up aswell.

He fair dived in on that Milan right back last week, worrying but at least he showed he's not scared of the physical side of the game !

I really don't see any reason not to play him,he is our best/only option on the left,and I for one don't think he will be fazed by the game,the MOPES WILL be worried about him.

By the way, wait until he gets a run in the team in his favoured position to see the best of young Fleck