WALTER SMITH was delighted with Rangers' commitment and work-rate throughout the 1-0 win over Hamilton Accies.

But the gaffer admits his players made it difficult for themselves by squandering several goalscoring opportunities.

Barry Ferguson's goal on 35 minutes was thoroughly deserved but the men in blue could not add to their advantage which made it a nervy finish at New Douglas Park.

Kirk Broadfoot and Steve Davis in the thick of the actionDespite Hamilton's excellent home record Rangers dominated this fixture and Smith was beaming from ear to ear after the final whistle.

He said: "I think this was always going to be a difficult game but I was delighted with the way we set out. We started the game very well.

"It's never easy to come here and get a win but we did that although our final pass could have been better at times.

"When you let chances pass you are always a bit concerned in the latter stages but overall I thought we were excellent."

With Pedro Mendes missing with a thigh strain Smith handed Mo Edu his second league start and the American was impressive alongside Fergie in midfield.

He said: "I thought Maurice did very well. New Douglas Park is a difficult place to come to but I thought he was terrific.

"I did say to him when he arrived in Scotland that it might take him time to settle. Mo Edu

"He is still young and only had one season in the MLS.

"But I think he has the potential to be an exceptional midfielder and he will be learning all the time from our midfielders at the club.

"When you look at Barry, Pedro and Steven Davis they have been excellent this season and it was good to see Barry score.

"He took his goal well and I thought today he had his best game for us since coming back in to the team.

"But I am happy with the way we are playing in general right now and we have settled down after being a bit inconsistent earlier in the season.

"We will now look forward to our game against Inverness.

"Pedro is likely to miss this one but I hope he will be back next weekend."