By Andrew Dickson

NACHO NOVO insists he's ready to face Celtic and that adrenalin will pull him through Sunday's League Cup final if he is judged to be fit enough to play in it.

The Spanish striker has fully recovered from the ankle knock which has kept him out of action for more than five weeks and is back in full training.

But he is lacking match practice and even before he was crocked, he had only played 90 minutes for the first team twice in the previous three months.

Novo has a good record against Celtic, scoring six times in total, and Walter Smith has started him more than any of his other strikers in the derby since he returned to the club.

The manager will know pitching the little hitman straight into the fray would be a risk given how little he has featured over the last few months.

But the former Dundee star is eager to show he can make an impact and is ready to dig deep into his reserves if he is given the nod.

Novo said: "I feel good and I am working really hard as I try to get fit for this game. I've been doing a lot with the physios and I'm hopeful of playing a part.

"You always worry about things if you are injured ahead of a big game and I am no different. Every time I train, I am feeling better and that is the most important thing.

"I certainly feel I can make a contribution and in Old Firm games, you always find it within you to do a job.

"Whether you are fully fit or not, it is about your mentality and how much you want to play rather than anything else.

"It won't be a problem for me to play on Sunday. Adrenalin will help me if the manager chooses me."

Edited by Super_Ally
Picture Captions

I didnt realise he had played so little football pre-injury.

Sure addreniline would get him through but maybe better coming off the bench so snatch the winner....

Sometimes you've got to gamble,sometimes Walter likes to gamble..........I would gamble and play Novo from the start, as has already been said by NC, it would put the shits up the MOPES thinking about facing Lafferty,Miller & Novo, all players with pace and industry !!!!!!, then again would Walter even contemplating playing all three ??????

Sometimes you've got to gamble,sometimes Walter likes to gamble..........I would gamble and play Novo from the start, as has already been said by NC, it would put the shits up the MOPES thinking about facing Lafferty,Miller & Novo, all players with pace and industry !!!!!!, then again would Walter even contemplating playing all three ??????

We'd be lucky to see 2 of those 3 nevermind all 3..

Would that be with Davis, Barry and Mendes in the centre. Where does that leave McCulloch who is a certain starter imo.

Would that be with Davis, Barry and Mendes in the centre. Where does that leave McCulloch who is a certain starter imo.

Aye, but I'm only giving my mind a treat :), I'd love to see us getting right in about the MOPES, but it won't happen

I didnt realise he had played so little football pre-injury

I think the quote about him having 'only played 90 minutes for the first team twice in the previous three months' is a bit misleading as he'd featured in a good number of games. It's just that the management appear to share the opinion of many on here as far as Novo is concerned - good impact player to bring on from the bench. Hope he get's at least that much on Sunday.