RANGERS legend Davie Provan feared Kyle Lafferty was a giant striker who didn�t punch his weight � or jump his height.

He reckoned you couldn�t slip a newspaper under the 6ft 3in hitman�s feet when he leapt for a ball.

But Provan admits Laffertyâ��s double against Hamilton on Sunday has started to change his mind. And he believes the �£3.25million man can really take off in Sundayâ��s Co-operative Insurance Cup Final against Celtic.

Provan said: ââ?¬Å?I saw Kyle play before and, without being disrespectful, he couldnââ?¬â?¢t get his feet off the ground.

ââ?¬Å?You couldnââ?¬â?¢t get a newspaper under his feet when he jumped for the ball and it wasnââ?¬â?¢t great.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s pointless having a big frontman who canââ?¬â?¢t jump and canââ?¬â?¢t score.

ââ?¬Å?But I was at the game on Sunday and the fact he got two goals will be just what he needed.

ââ?¬Å?A striker of Kyleââ?¬â?¢s size should be able to win the ball in the air and hit the back of the net.

ââ?¬Å?The goals against Hamilton will be a boost as scoring always helps the confidence.

ââ?¬Å?And the goals will probably be enough for him to get a start at Hampden.ââ?¬Â

Lafferty won a rare start alongside Kenny Miller against Accies in the Scottish Cup quarter-final.

Now his double has put him ahead of 24-goal Kris Boyd in the pecking order for Hampden.

Boyd was the hero of TWO finals last year as Gers landed both domestic cups.

But Provan � who made almost 200 appearances for the Ibrox men � believes the club�s top scorer will be back on the bench on Sunday.

He admitted: ââ?¬Å?I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be surprised if Boyd was on the bench for the final.

ââ?¬Å?He did not start against Hamilton and Rangers won the game 5-1.

ââ?¬Å?Walter Smith will start with Miller and the big fellow.

ââ?¬Å?It looked to be quite a good combination, but he MUST play two forwards.

ââ?¬Å?I understood using the 4-5-1 formation in Europe last term and it served them well all the way to the UEFA Cup Final.

ââ?¬Å?But in Scotland I think itââ?¬â?¢s a bad day if Rangers donââ?¬â?¢t have two up in every game.ââ?¬Â

Provan was in the Gers side which defeated Celts in the 1964-65 League Cup Final.

But the former left-back also lost Old Firm League Cup Finals in the next two seasons.

Provan still works for the Light Blues as a matchday host and is desperate for them to lift the trophy again.

And he feels the cup winners will gain a psychological edge for the SPL title run-in.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t think there is a clear favourite on Sunday because the two teams are too similar.

ââ?¬Å?But whoever wins will have a big plus over the loser in terms of winning the league.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers can win the Treble, but Celtic canââ?¬â?¢t after losing to St Mirren on Saturday.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers will give it their all and they certainly have the players to do it.

ââ?¬Å?I have been very impressed by Steven Davis and Pedro Mendes in midfield this season.

Advertisement

ââ?¬Å?And David Weir has been fantastic, apart from his one mistake last midweek against Inverness Caley Thistle.ââ?¬Â

Provan believes the 14th meeting of the Old Firm in a League Cup Final is too close to call.

He has seen Gers and Celts turn on the style this term. But he has also witnessed surprise stumbles against Caley and Saints in the past week.

He added: ââ?¬Å?We had a bad day against Inverness ââ?¬â? it was a JOKE.

ââ?¬Å?And you wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have believed Celtic would lose to St Mirren.

ââ?¬Å?This is a season when you never know whatââ?¬â?¢s round the next corner.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers hit five on Sunday but, with no disrespect to Hamilton, it will count for nothing come Sunday.

ââ?¬Å?Celtic have their problems as well and you just never know what can happen in an Old Firm final.ââ?¬Â

Lafferty, of course, could be the man to win it for Gers if he keeps fans� favourite Boyd on the bench.

He hasn�t had the greatest start to his Ibrox adventure after Smith forked out a bumper fee for him.

But Provan reckons it�s finally time the big man�s career lifted off.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2309553.ece

Lafferty is a much better player when played in his natural position of striker. Obviously he's still raw and his aerial threat needs to improve but personally I'm pretty excited with his potential.

Was he worth �£3.5million? I doubt it but we shouldn't let that cloud our own judgement of a lad who is still only 21.

:)