STEVEN NAISMITH gave Walter Smith something to think about this afternoon by scoring a first-half double as Rangers' Reserves beat Hibs 2-1 at Murray Park.

Steven NaismithWith a League Cup final against Celtic only days away Naisy showed the gaffer his desire to be involved with an impressive 90-minute display.

The 22-year-old, playing in his preferred role through the middle, was lively from the kick-off and bagged the opening goal on 24 minutes.

A John Fleck corner was nodded down by Christian Dailly and his teammate was there to hammer the ball home past Andrew McNeil.

The second goal arrived just seconds before the half-time interval.

Fleck again delivered a teasing cross from a corner and Naismith stepped away from his marker before heading the ball in to the net.

Tommy Wilson admitted after the final whistle that slackness crept in to his side's play after the restart and DaMarcus Beasley was guily of missing a snip when he was one-on-one with McNeil.

The American got the ball tangled between his legs before it was cleared to safety. John Fleck

A third goal at this stage would have killed off Hibs' chances but and they were to pull a goal back on 70 minutes.

Substitute Damon Gray played in Jack Wilson who angled a tidy finish beyond Neil Alexander.

In the dying stages the impressive Mo Edu skipped past three men before rifling a low shot across McNeil.

Unfortunately it went inches wide of target but it showed the midfielder's undoubted athletiscism and his potential at pushing forward in to the last third.

In the end Rangers' deservedly secured three points and the fixture proved an excellent run-out for first-team players such as Beasley, Fleck, Hemdani and Steven Smith.

It was Naismith, however, that really threw his name in the hat for Sunday's final and he clearly relished being utilised as a striker again.

RANGERS: Alexander; Lowing, Webster (Harvey), Dailly, S. Smith; Lennon, Hemdani (Wylde), Edu, Beasley (Little); Fleck, Naismith

Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Kinniburgh

By Andrew Dickson

STEVEN NAISMITH admits he'd love a striking role against Celtic this weekend after his double for the reserves against Hibernian today.

The former Kilmarnock hitman scored twice in the first half at Murray Park as Rangers won 2-1 against their Edinburgh opponents.

Steven NaismithNaismith has made the majority of his appearances for the Light Blues first team on the left side of midfield.

But while he enjoys that role, he's keen to feature up front too and hopes he has given Walter Smith a timely reminder of what he can do there ahead of Sunday's League Cup final.

Naismith said: "Getting two goals is always nice. I grew up playing as a forward and it was good to get a run up there today.

"That's my natural position and while I like it when the manager plays me on the left, it was enjoyable to get up front.

"Hopefully I was able to show I've still got a knack for getting goals and that the gaffer considers that ahead of the final.

"I know how hard it would be to break into the team in that area because Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd have both done really well there.

"Chances are limited and when Kyle Lafferty came in at the weekend, he impressed too and made it even harder to get in.

"I just have to do everything I can. It's my aim to get an opportunity up front and I would like to play there."

Tommy WilsonCoach Tommy Wilson was pleased with a result which keeps Gers' hopes of catching Celtic at the top of the SPL table alive.

The second Old Firm second string meeting of the season - to be played at Ibrox - has been confirmed for April 28 at 2pm.

And with a number of games to play before then, Wilson is happy his men are doing everything in their power to set up a grandstand finish to the season.

He said: "Overall, I was pleased. I thought we were superb in the first half and carried that on to the second, although a wee bit of slackness cost us a goal.

"We are still in the title race and it's between us and Celtic now for the league. They're out in front but we are chasing hard on their heels.

"If we had turned a few more draws into victories, we'd be there or thereabouts but we're still pushing hard.

"Steven is a bright player who is buzzing and full of energy. I know what he is capable of and I'm delighted with the goals he scored."

Gav said that Smith looked as good today as he did pre-injury.....yet we're looking to punt him :S

Aye,maybe somebody with a bit more inside info,Frankie, can shed some light on it, but I heard he was asked to go out on loan but refused, that of course could be a pile of shite :confused: