Woods I thought was excellent but I cant see past Goram.....

Did you see Forsyth, Stein, Baxter play or are you going by video/reputation?

Another you could put in that I just remember is McClelland but again, cant see past a CB pairinf of Butcher and Gough.

Seen Tom Forsyth play, but went for Stein and Baxter due to reputation - both players were lauded by my uncles and old man who followed Rangers. Another player who they would all have in their team would be Eric Caldow - thought about putting him at left back and moving Greig into the centre beside Gough! Jimmy Miller must also get a mention :)

Yeah, agree that John McClelland is worth a shout, a very dependable centre-half in a time when we were really struggling. Colin Jackson could also be considered at centre-half.

As I said, too many players to choose from, I haven't even mentioned players like Gary Stevens, Mark Hateley, Ian Durrant, Ian Ferguson, Stuart McCall, Stuart Munro, Michael Mols, Miko, John Brown, Butch, Alex McDonald, Gordon Smith, Bobby Russell et al.....

For those who have chosen Hutton at right back, I am assuming that you never witnessed Gary Stevens or Sandy jardine playing for Rangers :)

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

Seen Tom Forsyth play, but went for Stein and Baxter due to reputation - both players were lauded by my uncles and old man who followed Rangers. Another player who they would all have in their team would be Eric Caldow - thought about putting him at left back and moving Greig into the centre beside Gough! Jimmy Miller must also get a mention :)

Yeah, agree that John McClelland is worth a shout, a very dependable centre-half in a time when we were really struggling. Colin Jackson could also be considered at centre-half.

As I said, too many players to choose from, I haven't even mentioned players like Gary Stevens, Mark Hateley, Ian Durrant, Ian Ferguson, Stuart McCall, Stuart Munro, Michael Mols, Miko, John Brown, Butch, Alex McDonald, Gordon Smith, Bobby Russell et al.....

For those who have chosen Hutton at right back, I am assuming that you never witnessed Gary Stevens or Sandy jardine playing for Rangers :)

Cammy F

Aye, Stevens' Rangers career ended in 94 when I was 9 :(. It wasn't as easy to see the football back then, especially when living in England and I would have been too young to appreciate who the good players were unless they were a goalscorer.

Not many other options during my lifetime at RB really. :( Though no doubt forgetting someone.

Not being picky but can't see how anyone can place Cuellare ahead of Gough.

Agree with most of what you have said Cammy. Ws a tough choice between Stevens and Hutton for RB for me but thought in his last season Hutton was outstanding. Would love to have either one in that position right now, put it that way.

Cant believe I left out and never mentioned Durrant either. Unforgiveable. Looking back, we have had some class players playing for the jersey and who gave their all.

We've been lucky in that sense and thats players in a struggling decade in the early 80's too going through to the quality Souness brought/attrscted.

Gees, I'm getting all nostalgic now lol

SA you saying you were 9 in 94 reminds me of a bloke I worked with, taking about the season I will never forget, the European run in 92/93, he turned round after I'd been talking about the atmosphere in the pub when I was watching it, to then say........oh yeah, I was just in primary 7 then :(

Not being picky but can't see how anyone can place Cuellare ahead of Gough.

Probably a bit like I don't see how anyone can put Woods in front of the Goalie. :)

Gough was the mainstay of our defence for years, but I don't ever remember him having a season like Cuellar did last year.

I tried to think of a players' form at their best over a season. That's why Hateley got in to mine. He single-handedly won us 6IAR. Mols was arguably better for a while, but never did it over a season.

I was struggling as to who would share centre midfield with Gazza. Tempted to put in Derek Ferguson, whho was outstanding for a period, but again didn't do it consistently enough to get in my team.

I guess we all have different standards for getting into our teams. Some people are doing it by reputation, some are doing it over the period of their careers with the club. I decided to do it with the form over a season.

SA you saying you were 9 in 94 reminds me of a bloke I worked with, taking about the season I will never forget, the European run in 92/93,

What a season. I went to Copenhagen, Bruges and Dusseldorf to watch us that year. Couldn't get tickets for Leeds and couldn't go to Marseilles as my money had run out.

See I think Gough was a standout throughout his career rather than a one season wonder and moving on cos he wanted to better himself, more money, whatever the reason. Not taking anything away fro Ceullar but Gough was differet class and in my mind will always be a true legend.

Agree with the Goalie, IMO he was the best in the world at that time.

Also see your point re Hately, for me it was between him and Mols.

See I think Gough was a standout throughout his career rather than a one season wonder and moving on cos he wanted to better himself, more money, whatever the reason. Not taking anything away fro Ceullar but Gough was differet class and in my mind will always be a true legend.

Gough is a legend, but I still maintain he never had a season as good as Cuellar's. As for being a stand-out, I recall a few occasions when he was open to criticism from the stands.

Possibly me with rose tinted specs then BD as I will never change my mind about Gough being a better player than Ceullar and a legend an heart of the team.......

Not sure about an outstanding season, my view was that he was a player that gave his all in every game. When did the criticism come in as I can't recall?

Agree with the Goalie, IMO he was the best in the world at that time.

Also see your point re Hately, for me it was between him and Mols.

I think your spot on mate. Having seen both play theres no comparing Cueller with Gough as Gough played out his skin for about 5 seasons where Cueller for one and then buggered off. If anyone wanted to pick Cueller ahead of Gough then they might also want to consider Boumsong as he was probably a quicker and more technical player than Cueller, who relied more on positional sense and top quality tackling.

Gough had ALL the above mentioned.

Some cracking teams so far lads. In the first post i picked mine and although i never actually got to see Baxter play, i cant see how anyone can not put him straight into the side having been Rangers most skillfull player ever.

But, thats the fun of these type of posts, you can go on all day arguing for what you believe in.

Keep up the good work lads.:rfc: