Rangers Casuals - Parkhead 1985

Saw this photo on another forum, and it reminded me of the amazing game that the photo was taken at. It was the final OF game of the season and with neither able to win the title, it was classed as a 'nothing game' - as if any OF game can be classed as a nothing game!

59zoeb.th.jpg

One reason why I will always remember this game was that we missed our RSC bus that night, and with the game being 'pay at the gate' (�£1.50 Boys Gate) we decided rather than trudging home, we'd make our own way to Parkhead. So four of us set off to Falkirk Station and got the train into Glasgow. From Queen Street Station we grabbed a taxi to take us to Parkhead. The driver must have been a Tim as he dropped the four of us (average age 16!) off at the Celtc End.

Thankfully this was after kick-off and with only a smattering of Tims floating around, we negotiated a safe passage to the Rangers End. We payed our �£1.50 and hurried over the over and under turnstyles at Parkhead. We got into the game 10 minutes before half-time and by that time, Peter McCloy had saved a retaken penalty from Roy Aitken. We were standing in the Rangers end close to the Jungle, just to the left and rear of the assembled casuals. Probably the most Ski-Hats that I had ever witnessed. The Cetlc tramps, sorry casuals, were massed in the jungle.

Anyway, as predicted there was a bit of bother between them, bottles and the likes getting thrown between the sets of supporters and IIRC, a policeman got hit square on the jaw by a flying bottle.

The game itself was a lively encounter, with Ally Dawson and Davie Cooper being red-carded for Rangers. It looked like we were going to lose the game 1-0 until Roy Aitken conceeded a late penalty, dragging down Ally McCoist in the box. Super Ally converted the penalty. We actually have a great chance to snatch a late, dramatic winner when McCooist burst clear, fired the ball across the Celtc box. Ian Durrant slide in and missed the ball by a matter of centimeters. In fact, the guy behind me exclaimed that if he hadn't cut his toe-nails he'd have scored!

After the game, there were major incidents with mounted Police charging fans on Janefield (sp) Street. Thankfully, our night had a better ending than beginning. On the way out of Parkhead we bumped into a couple of guys from the RSC and managed to get the bus home!

Cammy F

Guest adamski

I had two of those bunnets

One just Rangers either side, the other "rangers/liverpool" :eek::o

I was only 6 in my defence :box:

I was at that game!

Aitken had to retake the penalty as the ball wasnt on the spot. Think it was windy and the ball blew off ther spot.

You one of the eejits with the ski-hats on :)

Mines was half Rangers half Chelsea for what is worth....

Cammy F

member it well.

Back then i was just starting out as a 13 year old fan travelling to all games home and away with my bro.

Jock Wallace years fair woke me up to what state we were in i'll tell ya.

And the youth of today complain about what we've got today?

Try suffering the 1985/86 season and you'd never moan again about what Walter has given to us.

p.S just to clarify, that is no way a smeer on Wallaces name as he brought us glory after years of suffering at the hands of Celtic in 1977 on.