SV Hamburg and Rangers

A few times now i've heard about fans of Rangers and Hamburg having very close ties.

I am not entirely sure to what extent the relationship goes to though.

I have always liked Hamburg as my German side but don't follow them too closely.

I seem to recall someone telling me there is a HSV/Rangers supporters club in Hamburg.

And, i could be wrong, but i'm sure i was told that Hamburg fans unfurled a banner declaring their support for Rangers during our UEFA cup run last season(at the time when we played Werder Bremen).

I wonder if anyone can enlighten us to the extent of the relationship between both clubs(if any) and the two sets of supporters please?

:rfc::hamburgfc:

Apparently a RSC was set up in Hamburg in the early 70s when a number of Scots worked in Germany under the Guest Worker Programme. It has grown since then. The Albertz connection wouldn't have done it any harm.

I would guess that a number of bears have jumped on the existing relationship due to the connection between Celtic and St Pauli (apparently smelly pseudo-left wing supporters as well).

Yes, the Hamburg fans did display a banner last season.

699344556a7682866166ml.jpg

There is a Rangers/Hamburg supporters club that is run from the Glasweigan bar in Glasgow and runs a bus every other week across for Hamburg home games , its apparentlly very popular.

is pretty reasonable for the trip i heard.

Have never been in might go check it out.

Apparently a RSC was set up in Hamburg in the early 70s when a number of Scots worked in Germany under the Guest Worker Programme. It has grown since then. The Albertz connection wouldn't have done it any harm.

I would guess that a number of bears have jumped on the existing relationship due to the connection between Celtic and St Pauli (apparently smelly pseudo-left wing supporters as well).

Yes, the Hamburg fans did display a banner last season.

699344556a7682866166ml.jpg

I remember Hamburg playing Celtc in Europe back in the 90's during our 9-in-a-row era and the game at parkhead saw many Rangers fans in the Hamburg end and many Rangers banners on display. The return leg saw Hamburg entering the pitch to simply the best and a blast of follow follow....

As Bluebell says above, the 'friendship' started when some Scottish workers based in hamburg set up a RSC. This has happened in a few other German cities as well. We also have a large RSC in the old East Germany.

A video from last night with the Hamburg fans singing 'Glasgow Rangers'...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KAjHAH6-VQ]YouTube - Hamburg fans at Man City[/ame]

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

That's brilliant Cammy.

Never had a second team before, but hopefully they can win the Bundesliga as their up there with Wolfsburg.

When Graeme Souness left Rangers for Liverpool leaving Walter Smith to negotiate a tricky title run-in, we played Motherwell at Fir Park in the 2nd last game of the season (we lost 3-0 leaving us having to beat AFC in the last game of the season at Ibrox, which we thankfully did!) and Chelsea entertained Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.

As someone who has had a soft spot for Chelsea since the late 70's, I ran a bus to this game at The Bridge. On arrving at The Bridge, it was obvious that there was a huge Rangers support down that day (as was also witnessed at a few Chelsea games in that era), maybe numbering over 1,000. As we entered the infamous 'Shed', the patrons parted and welcomed the Rangers fans in with a chorus of 'Rangers, Rangers, Rangers'... Our praises were sung amny times that afternoon.

It is a surreal sensation hearing supporters of other clubs singing your name, and it does make you feel welcome and part of a footballing friendship. Some people dismiss this as something akin to a Tim love-in, but it is different in the fact that it is resiprecated (sp), and not 'asked for'.

Since reading and hearing of the Hamburg connection, I must admit that I have looked out for their results, and it is one of the places I have on my 'wish list' to visit and take in a game.

Cammy F

It's not really like the Timmy love in, because if anything (well with Hamburg if not Chelsea) it is the other team promoting the friendship.

I too would like to go to a Hamburg game some day.

Saw Rangers in Barcelona, watched Real - Almeria the other month and decided i'd like to go to more foreign grounds. Is Hamburg one of the German grounds with a standing section though. The rangers connection, standing for the game and having a beer whilst watching some quality Bundesliga action. Sounds like a great weekend. :D

Thats very interesting lads. Some really good bits of info there. Thanks for all that people.

I honestly never knew it was as close at it appears now with Hamburg singing Rangers chants. Thats pretty cool.

Cammy, yes i have heard of the Chelsea/Rangers relationship too but being a Man Utd fan i'm not really interested in it. But it is good to know that these big teams have our club at heart:cheers:

Thats very interesting lads. Some really good bits of info there. Thanks for all that people.

I honestly never knew it was as close at it appears now with Hamburg singing Rangers chants. Thats pretty cool.

Cammy, yes i have heard of the Chelsea/Rangers relationship too but being a Man Utd fan i'm not really interested in it. But it is good to know that these big teams have our club at heart:cheers:

There is/was off course a real and tangable relationship between The Rangers and The Arsenal, and I believe that we still have a stake in Arsenal FC.

I have spoken to many fans of many English clubs over the years and whilst some fans of many have slight feelings for Rangers (Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday, Man City, Liverpool and even Man United), the only English club who have what I'd describe as a real friendship would be Chelsea.

This developed out of the Bradford City disaster charity game at Stamford Bridge (what a night that was) and a return game at Ibrox the following season (another great occasion). In fact, when we reclaimed the league under Souness, there was a congratulations message from Chelsea FC in the Rangers news.

I was last at The Bridge last January (a treat for my 40th) when Chelsea played Reading and once again, I was made most welcome before, during and after the game. I would recommend the Chelsea Tour and if you mention that you are a Bear, you'll be treated like royalty.

Cammy F