By Andrew Dickson

MADJID BOUGHERRA has been named as the Rangers Player of the Year at tonight's glittering ceremony in Glasgow's Hilton Hotel.

Rangers Players' Player of the Year 2009 Steven DavisThe Algerian was chosen by the club's supporters as the standout performer in Walter Smith's side this season and he succeeds the 2008 winner Carlos Cuellar.

It was a night to remember for Bougherra as he also claimed the John Greig Achievement Award for the good example he has been since joining Gers from Charlton.

The 26-year-old has shown great consistency in his 34 Light Blues appearances so far, scoring once against Hibernian back in September.

And he was thrilled to have his efforts recognised by an Ibrox support which has taken him to their hearts in the last few months.

Bougherra said: "This is fantastic for me because it is my first year here and to have two trophies really means a lot. Everything is perfect.

"It was a surprise to me that I won because the likes of Steven Davis, Pedro Mendes and big Davie Weir were all in contention.

"Allan McGregor and Kris Boyd were there too and each one of those players could have won it instead of me.

"I am very pleased because if the fans vote for you to win, it means you have done very well. I've given everything for the team and I want to win the title.

Rangers Young Player of the Year 2009 John Fleck"This is the biggest night of my career. When you win trophies like these, you have more motivation to win the title with the team as well.

"I dedicate this to the Rangers fans and thank them for the trophy but this is also for the people of Algeria too.

"Because I play for Rangers, there are many Rangers fans over there now and this is for them."

One of the men nominated alongside Bougherra for the main prize, Steven Davis, was picked as the Players' Player of the Year.

His quick feet, intelligence and work ethic have made him a real fans' favourite and he was delighted his team-mates agreed with the supporters.

Davis said: "I'm really chuffed. It's really good to have your fellow professionals voting for you like that.

"They're the guys I work and train with every week. I've put a lot of effort in throughout the season and I'm really pleased they recognise that."

Carling Fans' Goal of the Season winner 2009 Pedro MendesCompleting the list of victors were Portuguese midfielder Pedro Mendes, 30-goal hitman Kris Boyd and youth prospect John Fleck.

Mendes was given the Carling Fans' Goal of the Season award for his rasping drive in the 4-2 win over Celtic in August.

Boyd was the first recipient of the Sam English Bowl, which will be awarded annually to the leading goalscorer.

And Fleck retained the Young Player of the Year prize he won in 2008 for his performances since becoming a permanent member of the first-team squad this year.

Boyd winning the Sam English bowl.

Is it just me or does that smack a bit of Boyd's had a good season and deserves an award despite being nowhere near the player awards so we'll make up a new one for him? :devil:

Good to see him get some recognition in any case.

Boyd winning the Sam English bowl.

Is it just me or does that smack a bit of Boyd's had a good season and deserves an award despite being nowhere near the player awards so we'll make up a new one for him? :devil:

Good to see him get some recognition in any case.

The Sam English award wasn't made up by the club. It was presented to the club by RST/FF. (I was always unclear under which auspices it was being done.)

GLASGOW Rangers great, Sam English, was honoured at a civic reception by Coleraine Borough Council last week. Sam's tally of 44 league goals in a single season (1931/32) is still an Ibrox record.

But it is only now, almost eight decades later, that his stellar achievements are being celebrated, both in Scotland and in his home town.

The Old Firm star was brought up in the townland of Crevolea on the outskirts of Aghadowey and last Thursday members of his family travelled from Clydebank to officially unveil a plaque at his former home.

For his family it is a bittersweet acknowledgement. It is the first time the player's contribution to Scottish football has been officially recognised - and not the tragic accident that seemingly overshadowed his career. In 1931, English was involved in a clash with Celtic goalkeeper John Thompson who suffered serious injuries to his skull and died a few hours later.

The unveiling of the plaque is part of the centenary celebrations which were kicked off by Mark Dingwall, Director of the Rangers Supporters Trust. Rangers supporters presented the club with the Sam English Bowl last year. The bowl is a single piece of solid silver containing 44 silver balls, one for every goal Sam scored in that historic season.

The bowl will be given to the club's highest scorer each season. Earlier this year his name was added to the Rangers Hall of Fame. Sam's grandaughter Dawn McKellar and her uncle Ronnie Crea, whose wife Eleanor, Sam's daughter, died just a few months ago, told The Times: "We have wanted this recognition for a long time.

"Sam was a very shy man, but he would have been delighted with this." Dawn added: "I was only about two years old when my grandfather died, but we've been looking forward to this day for a long time."

Looking back to time spent with his brother in law, Ronnie recalled: "I went to Ibrox many times with Sam but he didn't like people knowing who he was. His friend took over as manager at Patrick Thistle around the time we were attending the Rangers matches, so he used to drag me along there to watch them to where no one knew him.

"I remember him telling me of times when he played for Yoker Athletic, a junior team. He scored something like 294 goals in three seasons. But, not many people know that he went straight into the first team at Rangers, something that doesn't happen that often. He was just something else."

Ronnie, who wore Sam's Scottish Cup final medal around his neck, said: "It'd be lovely for the bowl to go to a Scottish player in the first year. Kris Boyd is on target to pick up the goalscorer award, so that'd be nice. "As a family we'd like to thank the Rangers supporters and the Council for honouring Sam. We feel very proud to be here today," he said. The owner of the property on Crevolea Road, Dessie Monahan said that he is delighted that a piece of local football history is being remembered. "Anybody that knows me knows that I'm a big football fan," said Dessie. "So I'm delighted that a piece of Northern Ireland football history is being preserved for future generations.

"Hopefully because of this, people will take more of an interest in Sam's career. He was a fantastic footballer who had a great record, not just with Rangers, but also with Liverpool, and it deserves to be recognised.

Dessie, who lives in front of the old cottage where Sam was brought up, also revealed that at the minute he has no plans to renovate the old property, but it is something which may be possible in the future. The family is now hoping that the commemoration can be replicated back in Scotland by West Dunbartonshire Council.

http://www.colerainetimes.co.uk/football/Family-of-Sam-English-attend.5038680.jp

Apologies for my ignorance BD. Feel a bit of an arse now as I was not aware of that and thought the timing of this award's "appearance" was suspicious. :o

Thanks for setting me straight. :thup:

You arse S_A :devil:

wonder how long it will be till boydy loses some of the silver balls :devil:

This year its not an issue, but how can you hand out the seasons top scorer award with 5 games to go?! :confused: (same goes to ALL POTY awards!)

wonder how long it will be till boydy loses some of the silver balls :devil:

This year its not an issue, but how can you hand out the seasons top scorer award with 5 games to go?! :confused: (same goes to ALL POTY awards!)

Tbf you could give Boydie the top scorer award at the start of the season. :devil: