A second-half double from Steven Lennon and a further strike from John Fleck have given the Reserves a sensational 3-2 win over Inverness Caley Thistle in their final league game of the season.

John FleckTommy Wilson's side looked dead and buried when Adam Rooney put the Highland Jags 2-0 up in the 49th minute.

But three goals in the space of six minutes put the Light Blues back in front and they held on to their lead to secure all three points.

With an average age of just 18 this afternoon's game was always going to be a big test for Rangers and they were to suffer a blow on 28 minutes when Rooney linked with teammate Garry Wood before curling the ball beyond Graeme Smith.

The visitors fought back desperately in search of an equaliser before half-time but Ryan Esson was in inspired form between the Caley posts.

Rooney then doubled his team's advantage after the break when he fired the ball home after Iain Vigurs had supplied a cross from the left. Steven Lennon, Rangers

Despite their youth the Rangers players battled back brilliantly and they were given a glimmer of hope on 59 minutes when Steven Lennon pulled one back after scrambling home a rebound from a Jamie Ness header.

Only 60 seconds and they received a further boost when Pavels Mihadjuks blocked a John Fleck free-kick with his hand and the referee immediately pointed to the spot.

Lennon stepped up and the striker confidently sent the keeper the wrong way to put his team level.

With Caley stunned John Fleck was to take full advantage by bagging what proved to be the winner in the 64th minute.

Lennon, Archie Campbell and substitute Chris Craig linked well in midfield before releasing Fleck who curled a delightful shot around the helpless Esson.

It was a great way for the club's second string to end the season and has given them hope of finishing second in the SPL table.

ICT: Esson, Gathuessi, Mihadjuks, Finnis, Shinnie, Z. Sutherland (Leslie 70), Duncan, Morrison, Vigurs, Rooney, Wood (S. Sutherland)

RANGERS: Smith, Durie, Scott, Perry, Wylde, Stirling (Craig 45), Ness, Fleck, Aaron, Campbell (Forbes 75), Lennon

I'll start taking the reserves seriously when they start winning titles. Eight years and counting, our youth department is an utter shambles.

Is it "8 and counting ?" - is the reserve league not scrapped after this year ?

I don't think that our youth dept is an utter shambles - the reserves yes but it all depends on the function of the reserves - if we play a lot of youngsters whilst our opponents play a lot of 1st teamers it is hardly a decent match-up.

For our youth dept you should really be looking at the U-19's - and they have done pretty well in recent seasons, admittedly this season they lost the league though.

Is it "8 and counting ?" - is the reserve league not scrapped after this year ?

I don't think that our youth dept is an utter shambles - the reserves yes but it all depends on the function of the reserves - if we play a lot of youngsters whilst our opponents play a lot of 1st teamers it is hardly a decent match-up.

For our youth dept you should really be looking at the U-19's - and they have done pretty well in recent seasons, admittedly this season they lost the league though.

Eight league titles in a row for Celtic, and how many first team regulars have our youth department produced in that time? Isn't that the sole purpose of a youth department? And still the old boy network is allowed to prolong the rot, with Walter's pal Billy Kirkwood brought back to replace John Brown, who by all accounts bullied his way through nine years first with the U-18s then the reserves, with players shit scared of him.

Just what exactly are the successes of our youth department?

Eight league titles in a row for Celtic, and how many first team regulars have our youth department produced in that time? Isn't that the sole purpose of a youth department? And still the old boy network is allowed to prolong the rot, with Walter's pal Billy Kirkwood brought back to replace John Brown, who by all accounts bullied his way through nine years first with the U-18s then the reserves, with players shit scared of him.

But if Celtic are using 1st teamers or experienced players whilst we use youngsters then you would reasonably expect Celtic to win that league, right ?

Given Celtic have won the reserve league 8 years in succession would you actually EXPECT there to be many of our youths to make the 1st team ? OK, these kids can't compete with the Celtic reserves so lets promote them to the 1st team. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am not explaining myself too well. But if we use the reserve league to give youngsters experience whilst Celtic use it for match sharpness for 1st teamers then we are unlikely to conquer them. But it does give those youngsters decent experience.

Maybe we put more emphasis on the U-19's whilst Celtic place more on the reserves. I don't know.

Just what exactly are the successes of our youth department?

Hutton ? McGregor ? Stevie Smith ? They are decent successes, no ? Sadly for us, much of our youth are allowed to leave somewhat prematurely and then go on and do very well for themselcves, such as McCormack.

But if Celtic are using 1st teamers or experienced players whilst we use youngsters then you would reasonably expect Celtic to win that league, right ?

Given Celtic have won the reserve league 8 years in succession would you actually EXPECT there to be many of our youths to make the 1st team ? OK, these kids can't compete with the Celtic reserves so lets promote them to the 1st team. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am not explaining myself too well. But if we use the reserve league to give youngsters experience whilst Celtic use it for match sharpness for 1st teamers then we are unlikely to conquer them. But it does give those youngsters decent experience.

Maybe we put more emphasis on the U-19's whilst Celtic place more on the reserves. I don't know.

Hutton ? McGregor ? Stevie Smith ? They are decent successes, no ? Sadly for us, much of our youth are allowed to leave somewhat prematurely and then go on and do very well for themselcves, such as McCormack.

So Murray Park has produced three players. Not good enough. Everyone knows Murray Park has never come anywhere near producing what we were assured it would when first opened by Sir Moonbeam.

And as for Celtic, if they really have been playing first teamers in the reserves these past few years then it wouldn't surprise me. Somehow it's the sort of thing they would do.

Our club has been mismanaged, from the first team to merchandising, for years now, but our youth system is a particular embarrassment. There's simply very little evidence to suggest otherwise.

So Murray Park has produced three players. Not good enough. Everyone knows Murray Park has never come anywhere near producing what we were assured it would when first opened by Sir Moonbeam.

And as for Celtic, if they really have been playing first teamers in the reserves these past few years then it wouldn't surprise me. Somehow it's the sort of thing they would do.

Our club has been mismanaged, from the first team to merchandising, for years now, but our youth system is a particular embarrassment. There's simply very little evidence to suggest otherwise.

Our youth development has been mismanaged, their have been numerous players from the youth system who have been discarded early, Steven Smith has been unfortunate with injuries etc.

Going back to a previous post we have to understand what is being said here the reserves or another league [Team], the actual Reserve League never stated until 2004/2005.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s48

The U-21 League was so different to what the reserve league is, it is wrong to compare the two,teams from other leagues, age restrictions etc.

If the infrastructure and the ethics are different it is not the same.

They have not won 8 Reserve League titles on the spin, Fact.

They did win the U-21 league till 2003/2004 and did not win the Reserve League until the end of season 2005.

People's expectations of Murray Park are just not logical.

Let's create a baseline of expectation.

Imagine our league is closed and very even for age and squad size.

If players vary evenly from 18 to 34 and squad sizes are 24 then there should be and average 1.5 players for each age in each team.

Say players are introduced at 18 and retired at 34.

So to keep the league going, as it's closed, each team has to produce an average of 1.5 18 year olds of league standard.

However, the average standard of those players will be average for the league. Only the best 3 youngsters per year on average will be good enough for the OF.

So the league of 12 teams will be producing 3 OF players a season. As Rangers are only a twelfth of the league that means on average MP would produce a Rangers class player once in every 4 years.

Now I've really simplified things to get a basic statistical baseline, but it does seem Rangers are doing better than that baseline.

People's expectations of Murray Park are just not logical.

Let's create a baseline of expectation.

Imagine our league is closed and very even for age and squad size.

If players vary evenly from 18 to 34 and squad sizes are 24 then there should be and average 1.5 players for each age in each team.

Say players are introduced at 18 and retired at 34.

So to keep the league going, as it's closed, each team has to produce an average of 1.5 18 year olds of league standard.

However, the average standard of those players will be average for the league. Only the best 3 youngsters per year on average will be good enough for the OF.

So the league of 12 teams will be producing 3 OF players a season. As Rangers are only a twelfth of the league that means on average MP would produce a Rangers class player once in every 4 years.

Now I've really simplified things to get a basic statistical baseline, but it does seem Rangers are doing better than that baseline.

I'm unsure as to how that related to the reality of the situation?

We are the bigger club, with the greater funds and the better facilities. (Arguably we should have access to the greater coaches but I think this is the first point where we fall down).

In any case, due to the numerous advantages we boast over our rivals should we not expect to be producing a better standard of youth player and even arguable more players of sufficient quality to promote to the youth team?

I am of course aware that there are certain realities that will hinder the progress of youths, not just at Rangers but at any "big club", such as the requirement for instant success. (Prodigious talents like Fleck and Rooney aside). And this is where utilising links to other clubs for loaning out players should be utilised. Something we appear to be doing better recently.

I think some people are unrealistic in their expectations of Murray Park and our youth set up. I do, though, believe that we should be producing a player or two every year who should be able to be promoted to the first team squad or sold for a reasonable fee to offset the costs of running the youth set up.