SaSa Papac and Gers defence overall

This player has got better and better through the second Smith era.

He was so mature during the clincher at Tannadice and the block he made in the first half was very high calibre defending.

I hope he stays now, as formerly i thought he was wasted at Left back, particularly at the end of last season.

But he has grown accustomed to that position now and it really shows how we miss him when he is injured.

During last summer the Gers defence was looking as though it would suffer, but the last 10 games has seen a defence playing nearly the same with the exception of Dailly being in there sometimes, and this has helped the stability.

The loss of Cueller last summer, and the aging of Weir made it appear as though the defence would be vulnerable at the start of this season, but Bougherra is proving to be a master signing, and looks like one that could have won the league for us.

Whittaker is looking relaxed at Right back now, but it's good he can fill in at left back if needed. I always said Whittaker needed a few games of a run at Right back to settle him in and i hope this defence starts next season with no injuries.

But, Papac has shown he is equally important, and i feel now the defence know each others game very well indeed, they could go on and continue to play as they have the latter part of this season, move this onto next season and hopefully prove to much for the cream of europe in the Champions league.

If theres one thing i think we need though it could be abother Centre back, as i just don't want Davie Weirs age to catch up with him and we are left in limbo. So, therefore i hope Smith ensures he gets a centre half for the start of next season.

Papac played superbly especially in the first half, as you say John that block was proper defending.

He and Bougherra are key parts of the defence. Bougherra is just immense!

Papac is underrated by the majority of Rangers fans and the media. He keeps his play simple, and goes about his job in an extremely professional manner and very rarely makes a mistake.

One player I'd be happy with if he stayed.

One other thing about Papac that I have been impressed with is that he somehow just seems to know when he should support the attack and when to sit back.

Has turned into a very, very decent full back.