Bob Malcolm driven out of Scotland by bigots

BOB MALCOLM has revealed sickening sectarian abuse has forced him to start a new life on the other side of the WORLD.

The former Rangers star is no angel.

He's made mistakes in the past and let himself down.

He's the first to admit that.

But Malcolm has matured in recent years - he's learned his lessons.

Yet there are some who simply refuse to forgive and forget. And it's those twisted bigots who are driving Malcolm away to Australia and a new career with Brisbane Roar.

The former Motherwell midfielder - who jets off to Oz in two weeks - last night revealed: "I will miss my family, but there is nothing else worth staying here for.

"Since I got my driver's license back I've been pulled by the police seven times in three months, all because of the make of my car.

"When I was last stopped the policeman asked me what I was doing. I told him I was moving to Australia because I'd had enough of life here.

"I've had enough of walking along a street in Glasgow and someone screaming 'ya dirty Orange b*****d' in my face.

"I've just had enough of all the hassle. It's the main reason for me wanting to give Australia a go.

"I won't miss any of that, it's not worth it anymore.

"I will come back one day because I like having my family around me.

"For the moment though, I'm just looking forward to getting away."

Malcolm, 28, believes it's the right time to try something new.

A title winner with Rangers, last season he helped Mark McGhee's Motherwell secure an incredible return to Europe.

Now he wants a new challenge and he said: "It's a new life I'm about to embark on and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It's something new and it's an exciting time for me. I was asked to go to Australia last year, but I didn't want to miss out on Motherwell going into Europe.

"But I now feel it's the right time to move on and try something new.

"I've spoke to the manager here and my new manager in Australia.

"It's a new challenge and I'm ready to go. I feel as though I've done everything there is to do in Scotland. Even if another Scottish club had come in for me this summer I'd have turned them down because it's time to try something different.

"And I don't think you get much different than flying to the other side of the world to play your football."

Malcolm will hook up with former Ibrox team-mate Craig Moore at Brisbane Roar.

Indeed, he will move into Oz's house until he gets set up on his own.

And with the A-League really taking off Down Under, Malcolm can't wait to get started.

Ironically, his first game looks set to be against CELTIC on July 12!

He added: "The Australian League is developing all the time and big Oz has told me it's a really good standard - I don't think it's too far off the SPL.

"Of course, Oz is over there and Ian Ferguson is manager at North Queensland Fury.

"On top of that Charlie Miller is there and big Scotty Wilson is also flying out this summer.

"So I will have plenty of people around me and that should help me settle in at first.

"I think I'll shack up with Oz until I find my feet so it should be interesting times ahead.

"I will go over for my medical and if everything is okay I will sign straight away. It's one of those ones, don't knock it until you've tried it.

"Danny Tiato is there and so is Robbie Fowler and Kevin Muscat.

"The manager has said to me that the league in Australia has really taken off in the last few years and I can't wait to get started.

"My first game will be against Celtic on July 12.

"That should be interesting. It should all be a good experience."

Malcolm insists helping Well into Europe and Gers into the last 16 of the Champions League remain his proudest moments from his time in Scottish football.

He reflected: "I've achieved a lot and I will take with me many happy memories.

"Obviously growing up as a boy I dreamed of playing for Rangers and I was lucky enough to get that chance.

"To win titles and cups with Rangers was incredible and each honour is special in its own right.

"Also, helping Motherwell into Europe last season was a major achievement and one I'm very proud of.

"At Rangers you are expected to win titles and cups, but it's not every year a provincial team like Motherwell makes it into Europe.

"The manager here built a really exciting team and I was proud to be a part of it.

"But if I had to pick out one outstanding memory it would be playing my part in helping Rangers into the last 16 of the Champions League for the first time.

"It was a major occasion in the club's history and I was lucky enough to be part of it.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2451771.ece

Good luck Bob.............