Re-Vamp Scottish Football

I hear the arguments for not going 18 teams or 16 teams, but surley it can only help Scottish football as a whole if the teams like Accies, Raith, AirdieUtd etc play the big teams... The bigger picture as Scotland is concerned has to be added into any argument - not just income lost to the bigger teams or the fact that fans get to see Accies.

Guest Big_Gazza_Mc

:) Although i dont really like the split i have to agree it adds a hint of excitement for the teams outside the top 4. But what i dont agree with is the going back on the promise made by the SPL that "if a team plays an extra away game due to the split then this will be rectified the following year" i.e. equalled out by gettin an extra home game against the same team if possible. However in our 51 titles season we played Aberdeen away twice and then when the split came we were away to them again. (meanwhile celtic got 3 home games against aberdeen) Then last season the 1st game should have been at ibrox to allow us the 3 home games. but no we got 2 home 2 away. and ended up playing 3 away games after the split again.

However apart from this i think there is a much simpler solution to revamping scottish football. This being SPONSORSHIP of everything. Literally the strips being full of sponsors as a means of generating revenue to make up for the falling attendances. When you watch foreign leagues of our size and magnitude almost always the teams tops are covered in sponsors on the front, back, sleeves, shorts etc and i believe it is only tradition keeping us from going the same way which in my opinion is stupid. Move with the times and generate revenue for almost no expenditure, simple, and plus i think the tops look better with the sponsors i always buy a few back from my holidays:)

as a rangers fan im not bothered what league it as in football terms as we will still pump every one

but in scottish football terms we ned a a bigger league to get the stature of scottish football up

look at all the top leagues in the world ...they have 20 teams in it

if we get 20 teams in ours maybe our league might be the best league in the world in 10 years time

and think if youngsters from st johnstone play against rangers,hearts,celtic they will become better players

Frazer, it's difficult to have 20 big teams when you have a population of 5 million people. All the big leagues have populations of over 50 million people which means they can support 10 times as many teams as us that are on average as big as the Old Firm.

It doesn't quite work that way as for example, twice as many people per capita go to games in Scotland compared to England and England have for more provincial teams with significant supports. But the TV money from a huge armchair fanbase really makes a difference and the supply and demand for the top teams is greater meaning ticket prices are much higher.

But basically there is no way we can compete with such a small population and we do rather well compared to our closest peers such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria and Switzerland.