Are you guys talking for all games not just domestic

What about in Europe and the big games i.e. against them....

Boydy usually gets dropped.

If we keep the same front line will lafferty keep getting played out of position etc

Has everyone renewed their season tickets?

I have - tough decision though, getting married this year and totally skint

Looking at our current squad, and starting from the back, these are the players i'd be willing to part with. Starting with the goalkeepers i'd be looking to keep Neil Alexander. Has never let us down when called in and seems to be coming into his own as our number 1 choice. This however would mean I'd be looking to offload Allan McGregor. Off the field issues seem to follow this guy around and perhaps it's time he moved on from the Glasgow 'fishbowl'. Was one of our most saleable assets at the end of last season. Now???

Onto the defenders and i'd be looking for Kirk Broadfoot, Christian Dailly ( already freed? ),Webster and perhaps Steven Smith to go. I'd probably persisit with Smith till the January transfer window in the hope that a good pre season would set up him for a good run of games. If no improvement by January i'd look to get rid of him then. Dailly was a stop gap signing who shouldn't have been offered an extra season and Broadfoot is just not good enough. Whittaker should be our first choice RB with Lowing pushing him for a place next season, Boogie and Papac could make a cultured back 2 and i'd be looking to bring in a new left back ( have heard Michael Balls name mentioned with us ).

Onto the engine room of the team, the midfield. Would be looking for Hemdani, Ferguson, Adam, Gow, McCulloch, Mendes and Beasley to go. A serious cull is required of our midfield as I believe it is not operating as it should. That would leave us with Thomson, Davis, Edu. Therefore i'd be looking to bring in 2 GENUINE wingers for both sides, instead of Walters tactic of utilising strikers/midfielders in these positions. An attacking midfielder would be a bonus, one who can make that defence splitting pass. Was hoping Mendes would be that player, but he has failed to impress me...or impress himself on SPL midfields.

Upfront i'd be happy to see Velicka, Lafferty and Novo go, and look to keep Miller and Boyd. Don't see where the �£3.5 million on Lafferty went, is a complete waste of money in my eyes. Will probably get shot down for wanting to get rid of Novo but apart from a lot of heart and energy what else has he got in his locker?? Probably got the worst first touch in Scottish football. Wouldn't get rid of Boyd...where else could we get a 30 goal a season striker with the money we have??? Would be looking to develop Fleck up front, possibly as a 2nd striker, and would be also looking to bring in a target man in the Cousin mould.

Some of the above may seem harsh, excessive even, and I doubt very much as if Walter will want to make that many changes in the summer. Is just the changes i'd like to see.

McGregor may well leave, even though he's slightly the better keeper.

I'd keep Broadfoot, relatively inexpensive back up. Hard to move on an injured player anyway.

Of your midfield selection, Mendes will stay unless we get funny money I reckon. I'd maybe keep Adam too. Sure we're quoted as wanting to move on 7 or 8 but only bring in 3/4. So we can't get rid of everyone and I think he's a useful squad option.

I think Lafferty gets an easy ride from the fans, but he is a certainty to stay. As is Novo imo. Velicka could well move on if we find a buyer, though he's shown to be useful as a poor man's Boyd if Kris is off form/injured.

I doubt we will move on quite as many players as you suggest, though you do recognise that in your own post. :thup:

Fairly good assessment, even if I don't quite agree with it all.

I would want to keep Novo for another season if nothing else but as an impact sub. I think the rest of the team could also learn something from him in his non-stop running, his enthusiasm and tenacity. I think he's a great guy to have on the bench as the cup final proved.

Im in the Novo must stay camp! He leads by example attitude wise and i think he has impacts starting some games aswell.

He is the classic player to bring on and remind the team when they are taking the foot off the peddle a bit as he ups the tempo straight away. If only he could finish!!

Are you guys talking for all games not just domestic

What about in Europe and the big games i.e. against them....

Boydy usually gets dropped.

If we keep the same front line will lafferty keep getting played out of position etc

Has everyone renewed their season tickets?

I have - tough decision though, getting married this year and totally skint

I think, individually, few of our squad are CL quality.

Arguably Mendes and Ferguson (if, as looks unlikely, he stays and finds form). Maybe Bougherra, we've yet to find out. After that we are struggling.

For CL football, we all know what we are going to get. The defensive counter attacking football of 07/08. I would see finish 3rd in a CL group (where would be seeded to finish) and a run in the Europa League as reasonable success.

Boyd will most likely have a far harder time in Europe as a lack of pace will be more apparent. Having said that, most the squad will be up against it. Even Bougherra may well look out of his depth unless we can find another quality CB to partner him. I don't mean to be so pessimistic, just realistic.

Rather than worry about the merits of an individual player, we need to find what we did in 07/08 and that is a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. Like Porto in 04, or Greece at the Euro's.

Domestically, we know we can compete. In fact the evidence is there, if Smith loosens the reigns a bit, that we are too good for anyone in Scotland. The issue is ensuring our players turn up in the right frame of mind (unlike at the Cup Final) and that there are less Falkirk, St Mirren and ICT (the 2 defeats) type performances and more Celtic 4-2, Dundee Utd 3-0, Hibs 3-0 performances. If we can manage that we should be looking at 2iar as we have undoubtedly been the best team in Scotland for the past two years.

The squad size is going to decrease. Hopefully it will be mostly dead wood out. If star performers are to leave to bring in money, hopefully it will be McGregor/Ferguson and we keep the other top players to retain the quality of the first XI. Then we will be relying on youth players to fill in where squad players previously did. This should be good for their long term development whilst still keeping us strong enough to gain the required results.

Here's to 53. :spl:

It would make sense for Valicka to stay as we've already paid for him and he can't be on the highest of wages. He did not bad when he finally got a short run so could be good backup at least for domestic competition.

Adam will have to go as will Gow and I can see us getting shot of Beasley. G.Smith, Webster, S.Smith and Naismith are in the balance. I think we all hope to get rid of McCulloch.

The big questions are about MacGregor and Boyd with the former very likely to go to bring in some much needed cash.

I can't see a place for the likes of Lowing and Lennon either as their positions are reasonably covered and they are now old enough to need first team football. However, with a dwindling squad they could come in handy.

I think the main changes in the team next season for current squad members will be more prominence for the likes of Alexander, Whittaker, Edu, Lafferty and Valicka as well as regular minor roles for Fleck, Furman and Aaron. If we get shot of most of the ones I mentioned and get in Brunt, the basis of the squad will be there.

Alexander/Robinson

Whittaker/Broadfoot Bougherra/Wilson Weir/(Webster) Papac/(Smith)

Davis/Aaron Mendes/Furman Thomson/Edu Brunt/Fleck

Lafferty/(Boyd) Miller/Velicka

With Novo as a sub.

We can also shuffle the players around a bit as we know with Whittaker able to play left back and both wings, Braodfoot and Papac can play in the centre, Davis can come in, Aaron can play both wings, Fleck can play up front, Brunt can play left back, Lafferty can play left wing and Novo can play both wings and up front.

That's a squad of 23 plus kids with perhaps a few more coming in and a couple more going out with the most likely in brackets.

Not the most confidence inspiring but not the worst squad either.

If players like Whittaker, Davis, Mendes, Edu, Fleck, Miller and Lafferty can start playing with some consistency nearer the top of their game, and if Brunt can quickly fill that left mid hole, it could be a pretty decent season again.

For Alexander, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Novo, Edu and Thomson, it's same again please.

I would Sell

Hemdani - Gone , feel we have wasted a year of this mans life.

Daily - Gone ,a tryer but nothing more

McCulloch - Free Transfer a waste of money on all levels.

Beasley - I like him but he is too light and Injury prone , �£1M for him

Broadfoot- nice guy but not Rangers Class, would be a better CB, �£1M

G.Smith - Time to move on , not gonna break into the 1st team -Free

P.Mendes - Only if we dont sell Ferguson as it will be either him or Ferguson alongside K.Thomson in the middle wih Edu as backup - �£4M

Loan Out

Alan Gow - i would keep him as he is a good player but loan out for experiance

John Fleck - Would benefit from regular 1st team football

Danny Wilson - see above

Give a Chance

N.Novo - How many times is Novo going to save our bacon- give him a 1st team run , he deserves it.

S.Naismith - i was excited when we signed him and would like to see him play more often.

A.Velicka - Think he has goals in him also just needs the games.

A.Webster - This guy is an ideal replacement for David Weir.

Must Stays

A.McGregor - A class keeper just shades Alexander in my opinion wish he would stop being a fud off the park though.

N.Alexander - I rate him 2nd to McGregor but he is a great keeper to have in the team and has deserved his chance.

M.Bougherra - We Must Keep him at all costs , a complete class act.

S.Davis - Has the off games but when he turns it on he is brilliant and can take anyone on.

K.Thomson - Our future captain i reckon and a star in the making.

K.Boyd - Mr Goals - he can play poker for 89 minutes if he wants as long as he scores 1 in that last minute i couldnt care less, were would we be without his 30+ goals a season.

K.Miller - Sometimes cant hit a cows arse with a banjo but his running and effort makes up for it a real team player and a perfect foil for his strike partner.

The David Weir situation

I love the guy but seriously how long can he go on playing 40+ games a season he is a class act but i would keep him for the SPL games and blood through either Webster,Broadfoot,or a new signing at CB as are we going to have a 40 year old CB playing in the Champions league against, Huntelaar-Messi,Drogba etc ? his experiance would gide him through but he could be embarresed as his legs might not keep up.

Management

I think we have done well 4/6 is a good record , so i am up for giving Walter another year and a crack at the bigtime i just hope he goes in an attacking style from the off as we saw what we are capable off against D.Utd, i reckon its a shoe in that Ally will take over but Smith deserves a shot at 2 in a row.

Well done Ranger Double Winners 08/09 :spl::spl:

I would Sell

Beasley - I like him but he is too light and Injury prone , �£1M for him

Loan Out

Alan Gow - i would keep him as he is a good player but loan out for experiance

No chance we'll get 1m for Beasley. We'll be lucky to get 500k

Loan Gow for experience? The guy is 25! Clearly his face doesn't fit so he'll be gone

Hemdani & Daily are gone as we know & my other choices for the door would be -

Beasley - Good player, but too lightweight for most SPL games.

Gow - It hasn't worked out for him at Ibrox.

Ferguson - He hasn't shown that he deserves to be picked this season & considering his salary I'd rather we hold on to players with more potential & a little longevity.

McCulloch - Don't know what to say other than - 2million+ ?? That was too much to pay Mr. Bain!!! You need an escape alarm attached to your leash.

Velicka - People have spoken intensely about Boyd being static, but this guy (despite having scored us a few goals) is a statue.

From the 5 of those, my top choices for the door would be Fergie & McCulloch, but sadly, I bet they're still here next season. In fact, I'd put money on it, but not with Craig. :devil:

Agree with these.

Regarding McCulloch, I don't know why we paid so much as the original offer was about 750k (probably about right) and so we can't have originally thought he was worth more than a million.

Velicka does seem to be the poor man's Boyd.