If we're getting rid of Boyd for inconsistency we're gonna have to ship out Miller, Lafferty and Novo to then and just start from scratch.

The difference is that we could perhaps get 3.5M for Boyd, meaning we can afford a replacement...

Being a controversial player AND being sellable for good money could give a good reason to sell him as we are short of cash.

The difference is that we could perhaps get 3.5M for Boyd, meaning we can afford a replacement...

Being a controversial player AND being sellable for good money could give a good reason to sell him as we are short of cash.

It might make good sense to the bank managers. I can't see how it makes football sense. Though at least you argument is based in logic and not a pathological dislike of the man.:whistle:

With Boyd, I kind of agree with both sides of the fence and so I'm pretty ambivalent.

If he stays I'll be happy enough, and if he goes but we use the 3.5M to bring in a really good and consistent left midfielder who can beat a player, put in a cross, score a few and track back to defend, then I'll also be happy, probably moreso.

Up front - I think we should be trying to hold on to Boyd, Miller, Lafferty & Novo. Between the four of them I think we're going to be OK for goals. That just leaves Velicka & Naismith. I'd prefer to see Velicka go, but if we get a half decent offer for either of those two I'd take it.

In midfield - I can see Gow and Beasley joining Hemdani. Question marks remain about Adam and Ferguson. Personally, I'd sell Ferguson. I've never been his greatest fan OR critic, but it's clear to everyone that he's past his best. Maybe a move will do him some good.

In defence - Dailly would be my first choice to be shown the exit. If we can find a decent replacement within our budget, I think it's time to let Weir go. He's getting slower all the time and if he's not playing every week and we keep him merely as backup, I'm not sure how reliable he'd be coming in from the cold. I think we should start next season with Thomson as skipper. Stevie Smith is another candidate for the chop as is Webster. It's time for that pair to step up and prove themselves, but it could already be too late.

That just leaves McCulloch who doesn't appear to HAVE a natural position - at least not one that's up to standard for Rangers. I wouldn't have signed him in the first place. Bye bye BIG Lee.

That's 7-10 players off the wage bill, including some of our top earners. Not sure that we'll get much more than a couple of million for the lot of them, which says it all really :rolleyes:

Looking at our current squad, and starting from the back, these are the players i'd be willing to part with. Starting with the goalkeepers i'd be looking to keep Neil Alexander. Has never let us down when called in and seems to be coming into his own as our number 1 choice. This however would mean I'd be looking to offload Allan McGregor. Off the field issues seem to follow this guy around and perhaps it's time he moved on from the Glasgow 'fishbowl'. Was one of our most saleable assets at the end of last season. Now???

Onto the defenders and i'd be looking for Kirk Broadfoot, Christian Dailly ( already freed? ),Webster and perhaps Steven Smith to go. I'd probably persisit with Smith till the January transfer window in the hope that a good pre season would set up him for a good run of games. If no improvement by January i'd look to get rid of him then. Dailly was a stop gap signing who shouldn't have been offered an extra season and Broadfoot is just not good enough. Whittaker should be our first choice RB with Lowing pushing him for a place next season, Boogie and Papac could make a cultured back 2 and i'd be looking to bring in a new left back ( have heard Michael Balls name mentioned with us ).

Onto the engine room of the team, the midfield. Would be looking for Hemdani, Ferguson, Adam, Gow, McCulloch, Mendes and Beasley to go. A serious cull is required of our midfield as I believe it is not operating as it should. That would leave us with Thomson, Davis, Edu. Therefore i'd be looking to bring in 2 GENUINE wingers for both sides, instead of Walters tactic of utilising strikers/midfielders in these positions. An attacking midfielder would be a bonus, one who can make that defence splitting pass. Was hoping Mendes would be that player, but he has failed to impress me...or impress himself on SPL midfields.

Upfront i'd be happy to see Velicka, Lafferty and Novo go, and look to keep Miller and Boyd. Don't see where the �£3.5 million on Lafferty went, is a complete waste of money in my eyes. Will probably get shot down for wanting to get rid of Novo but apart from a lot of heart and energy what else has he got in his locker?? Probably got the worst first touch in Scottish football. Wouldn't get rid of Boyd...where else could we get a 30 goal a season striker with the money we have??? Would be looking to develop Fleck up front, possibly as a 2nd striker, and would be also looking to bring in a target man in the Cousin mould.

Some of the above may seem harsh, excessive even, and I doubt very much as if Walter will want to make that many changes in the summer. Is just the changes i'd like to see.

OK I'll be the first to shoot you down about wanting rid of Novo. :box:

You ask what else he has in his locker apart from a bad first touch and yet you want to keep Miller? I think Miller has done well over the season and I don't want rid of him but it shouldn't need pointed out that his first touch is possibly the worst in the team.

What else does Nacho have in his locker? Pace, enthusiasm, energy, a genuine passion for the Rangers, an affinity with the fans, a 30 yard goal of the season to win the Scottish cup, a UEFA cup semi-winning penalty and five stars tatooed on his arm.

And Timmy fuckin HATES him:giruy:

Have to agree with Cotter. Novo has a lot more ability than he's given credit for. He's probably the best all-rounder we've got up front. He's prone to missing chances when it would be easier to hit the back of the net at times, but given a good run of games, Boyd would be our only player I would back to score more.

I don't really buy into the idea that Novo's an 'impact player', even though 9 times out of 10 he does make an impact when he comes on as a sub. I think that just shows he should be given more starts. If it was up to me, I'd give the wee man a contract extension right now.

Overall, I don't think we need to make too many changes to the squad this Summer. We're obviously going to be looking at trimming the squad, but we've just won the double, so I don't think we need to go overboard on the changes.

I think if we manage to move on around seven players and bring in a couple to strengthen, then we'll be looking good for next season.

There is no way we could get someone in for �£3.5-�£4m to replace boyd if we sold him for that IMO. We don't have much scouting in place in europe and it's just luck if you get a bargain or not as if we bought from europe they might not fit in to our style or the Scottish game.

Who could we get for that kind of money to score 20+ goals in the SPL?

It's OK saying he doesn't score against the big? teams but every goal against every team helps to win the league does it not? A team of 11 players running all day is not much use if you don't have someone to score goals. If he was scoring goals and running himself into the ground I'm sure he would be elsewhere for big bucks. Some players don't have to run around all day to do their job I thought that was the point of a team but maybe it's just me?

You look down south and the silly prices againt down there, this season you had Luke Moore going to west brom for �£3m, and other similar or higher prices for players IMO much worse than Boyd and would never score the amount of goals he can give us every season. For next season I've just seen the likes of Titus Bramble quoted at �£5m unbelievable!!!

Why not build a team and play to his strengths rather than trying to get rid of our and the SPLs top scorer for the last 3 seasons? This not trying hard enough excuse is lame to say the least, is 30 goals not enough for you?

agree with lepardized other than on lafferty and probably novo. i think if novo had gotten a long run in the team a few years ago he could've really improved, but i'm not sure if he's going to give us more than a bit of impetus now and again. depends on how much he costs i suppose.