Rangers keen on Sporting ace

Speaking to setanta.com, Tonel�s agent has confirmed Rangers� interest in the Portuguese star.

Agent Marcelo Cipriano has declared that Scotland giants Rangers tried to lure the Portuguese away from Sporting during the January transfer window, but Walter Smith�s club could not reach an agreement with the Lisbon outfit.

Antonio Leonel Vilar, better known as Tonel, is a 29-year-old experienced defender, and his representative has insisted that he would be delighted if SPL reigning champions Rangers renewed their interest in his services.

But the Ibrox side, who are still rumoured to be keen on Tonel, could be facing competition from two Italian clubs who have expressed their interest in the player.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers wanted to sign him last January but unfortunately this did not happen,ââ?¬Â Cipriano told setanta.com.

ââ?¬Å?He has two options in Italy, two clubs that have been in touch with us but that are yet to make concrete offers.

ââ?¬Å?Of course Tonel would be please to join Rangers, as they are one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

ââ?¬Å?If they have a good offer on the table, then they should speak with Sporting to try to reach an agreement regarding a transfer to Scotland.ââ?¬Â

i can't say i know a lot about him but we do need a defender badly. the fact that Italian teams are interested may be a good sign.

The most important question though surely has to be - How good is he in Football Manager:fish:

No seriously we could really do with cover/replacement for Weir and we should have had this guy looked at enough times over the past year to know whether he has genuine qualities or not

Norris will be back to give us the answer to that one, it's where he gets his football knowledge! :giruy::box:

Ideally in a centre half I'd be looking at at least 15 for tackling, positioning and anticipation, as well as reasonable pace and acceleration. Unfortunately such players are priced through the roof. I'll have to look him up. After all, 'FM never lies'.

Ideally in a centre half I'd be looking at at least 15 for tackling, positioning and anticipation, as well as reasonable pace and acceleration. Unfortunately such players are priced through the roof. I'll have to look him up. After all, 'FM never lies'.

Don't forget heading, that's an important attribute too.