What d'ya think? Oguchi Onyewu as Magic's partner?

It's well known to the Rangers fans this summer & hopefully to the management as well, that with another fixture packed season approaching, we could really be doing with a new partner for Madjid Bougherra. David weir has been an excellent signing for us, but in my opinion he now often shows signs of tiredness & thus lack of pace & sharpness. For the most part, he's been extremely solid in his role in central defense & without a doubt for his age, he's admirably played a part in bringing silverware to Ibrox. I'm wondering now though, as are most Gers fans I'd imagine, if we should primarily in the summer transfer window, be looking at bringing in a new central defender. I know that this is no new idea, as it's been discussed for quite some time amongst the online Gers community, but the question remains open as to who the right man would be. The club have apparently had an ongoing interest in the Sporting defender Tonel, but having been watching the Confederations Cup in South Africa, I'm wondering if the USA central defender Onyewu might be a better option. He's been playing for Standard Li�¨ge since they signed him from Metz in 2004 & as well as being in integral & important part of a successful Li�¨ge side, he's also won a fair number of footballing awards in Belgium. He was named in the Belgian league's Best XI after the 04/05 & 07/08 seasons, as well as winning the Foreign Player of the Year award in 2005. In 2006 he won US soccer athlete of the year. He's been a big part in Standard's league winning past couple of seasons & other than an unsuccessful loan spell at Newcastle to consider, I'm only wondering if we could afford him. His performance in last night's USA win over Spain was so good though, that I'd imagine yet again he'll be a player being targeted by clubs from around Europe. I think he's a defender that's on form & possibly approaching his peak, so he'll probably be worth a few million.

Is he the massive guy? Only seen bits of the confed cup but I thought he looked impressive. Unfortunately, as Norris says, he's never played against us so we won't know who he is. And Standard liege don't play in the Championship so absolutely no chance.

Watched the game last night, and ended up supporting the USA... reminded me so much of our uefa cup win! the defending was bremen-esque!

I was impressed with the American captain at LB, B-something-or-other, as well as the obvious midfielders: donovan, dempsey and bradley.

Also saw America in their game against Italy, and although he looks very raw and inexperienced, the big boy altadore up front impressed. Initially I thought he was just a rash emile heskey, until i learned he was 19! With the right guidance could be a cracking lone striker, and did well to create the chance for his goal!

reminded me so much of our uefa cup win! the defending was bremen-esque!

Re-writing history are you Andrew ? Or just using the "Celtic book of history and how to alter it through false stories" ?

I thought we got beat in the final...... ;)

His full name is Oguchialu Chijioke Goma Lambu Onyewu - what a mouthful !

Apparently Shroomz he is a free agent and has signed for Fenerbache having turned down Birmingham - at least according to this report http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/report-onyewu-to-fenerbahce.html

Edited by craig