Furman weighs up new contract

As for Furman, if there is a chance of our youngsters getting a game, then he seems like a decent option. Was one of our better players at U-19 level. Then again the under-21's rule could play it's part in him being moved on.

I read somewhere that compensation has been agreed with Oldham, so I guess we'll never know.

Hopefully we may have a first-option clause inserted into this agreement?

Moving under freedom of contract is he not (though we may get compensation due to his age).

So not sure we have any right to be inserting any clauses.

Not something i've come across before though, so accept I may be wrong.

Dean Furman

Furman Joins Oldham

By Andrew Dickson

DEAN FURMAN has ended his time at Rangers after agreeing a two-year deal with English League One side Oldham Athletic.

The South African youngster leaves Ibrox having made just one first-team appearance as a substitute in three years with the club.

Dean FurmanMidfielder Furman, 21, had been offered an extended stay with the Light Blues after impressing during a loan spell with Bradford City last season.

But having become accustomed to regular football in his 33 outings for the Bantams, he has chosen to move on as he tries to build on what he has achieved in the last 12 months.

Furman was signed by the club's youth department in the summer before the 2006/07 season.

But now he has departed after the Gers hierarchy were able to agree a compensation package with the team from Boundary Park.

Furman will be looking to step up to English Championship over the next year with his new club as he also bids for a place in his country's World Cup squad.

Oldham finished 10th in League One last season, just nine points off the play-offs, and are aiming to move up to the second tier for the first time since 1997.

Furman said: "I was offered a new contract by Rangers but I didn't think I was going to get as much football as I'd have liked.

"The chance to join Oldham came up and straight away I got a good feel for the club. I had my first day training with them today and it was great.

"I feel it's time for me to move on because I enjoyed getting first-team football at Bradford last season and I was to keep progressing.

"I am confident I will be able to do that now. I've got no guarantees I'll be playing every week and it's up to me to prove I'm good enough for this team.

"That's a challenge I'm looking forward to and hopefully over the next couple of years I can give my all and establish myself more."

I respect his decision due to his desire to play first team football, but if we sell Fergie & Adam in this transfer window, there's nothing to say that Furman wouldn't have been looking at 1st team football. Edu won't be back for the start of the season & if we get one or two injuries, there's every chance that the likes of Furman would have had his chances to play for the club, potentially even in the Champions League. I wish him well, but personally I think he's made a mistake.

I respect his decision due to his desire to play first team football, but if we sell Fergie & Adam in this transfer window, there's nothing to say that Furman wouldn't have been looking at 1st team football. Edu won't be back for the start of the season & if we get one or two injuries, there's every chance that the likes of Furman would have had his chances to play for the club, potentially even in the Champions League. I wish him well, but personally I think he's made a mistake.

To be honest i would think he has talked to Walter and heard that he is way down the pecking order. It stated on the Rangers web-site that the technical staff were disappointed in his progress. Disappointing i agree but if his development has ground to a halt then it is better for everyone if he goes.

He would have been a bench sitter with us.