Stability or re-investment?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Stability or re-investment?

• Stick with what we have
    • Sell a star and attempt to strengthen?

In light of Johnny's thread which quote Smith as saying there will be no transfers in, would people be happier keeping star players like Boogie and going with what we have or selling Bougherra (or other) and using the funds to attempt to strengthen the squad?

Edit: Can we pull off another Boumsong or Cuellar type deal?

I have to say stick what we have.

Sometimes less is more and trimmimg the squad with Hemdani, Dailly, Ferguson, Adam and Smith away reduces the wage bill and is easier for WS to maintain. We still have a decent size squad once everyone is fit.

It really depends on how the younger and fringe players come on. We need Aaron, Naismith and Fleck to advance this season.

The likes of Beasley and McCulloch must improve but could still be important squad players.

BTW is Gow still with us or did he move on?

So the basis of the squad when everyone is fit will be:

Keepers:

Mcgregor

Alexander

Defenders:

Bougherra

Weir

Broadfoot

Papac

Whittaker

New??

Webster (on loan, can we recall?)

Midfield:

Thomson

Edu

Mendes

Davis

McCulloch (also roles all over the park)

Beasley

Aaron

Naismith (also forward)

Forwards:

Lafferty

Miller

Boyd

Fleck (also wide roles)

Novo (also wide roles)

Looking at that we are light at full back cover. We have numbers at centre half when everyones fit but only Bougherra gives me top confidence. i cant see Weir managing 30+ games. 2 keepers should be enough but you do need a 3rd keeper just incase. A older keeper just for cover could be what we need until we get a good youngster.

In an ideal world I'd want rid of Gow, McCulloch, Beasley (can't believe no one would be willing to take him, get your act together Rangers)and Adam.

I'd settle for punting McGregor and getting a good CB in.

However, I would find it hard to accept the sale of Bougherra.

I vote sell (just not Boogie!) and strengthen. Weir for another season? Every game? We need a CB end of story.

Gribz, we also have Stevie Smith (for now) in defence and Velicka in attack. Until they leave we should still count them in.....

Yip I remembered about Smith after the post but totally forgot about Velicka.

With Smith it depends on his injuries, time will tell if he can get a run. I wasnt comfortable with him moving into the left mid role last season, i felt there were better options.

Who knows about Velicka! Seemed to start pre season with a bang then he made Hemdani look like a regular starter! but he came back towards the end with 4 goals in 4 games. So he is another option this season.

Agree with Cotter:

In an ideal world I'd want rid of Gow, McCulloch, Beasley (can't believe no one would be willing to take him, get your act together Rangers)and Adam.

I'd settle for punting McGregor and getting a good CB in.

However, I would find it hard to accept the sale of Bougherra.

I vote sell (just not Boogie!) and strengthen. Weir for another season? Every game? We need a CB end of story.

If we could sell off Gow and McCulloch then it rids more dead wood (although McCulloch seems to be a favourite of WS for some bizarre reason). Beasley could still play a part, he is just a bit lightweight and gets blown off the ball more so in away matches.

If we got a bid for McGregor then its one we should look at. But Bougherra, Davis and Thomson are the 3 who must stay.

I would agree Frankie. I think Alexander has performed admirably any time he has come into our team and deserves to be #1. McGregor's off-field antics will always mean he is a bit of a liability.

Do we need, or indeed can we afford, to have a multi-million pound back-up keeper ? Not in my opinion.

If we needed to sell someone my preferences as soon as the season ended would have been Ferguson and McGregor, with McGregor probably being my first choice as we already have a very decent replacement.