Rangers - Upholding the hopes of Scottish football

remember it wasn't that long ago when we were the only team getting c/l football that we had a much better team and squad , yet continually getting horsed by Auxerre , grasshoppers , strasbourg etc etc etc back then NIAR was the only game in town , how times have changed

Asked in another thread if Hearts win at Dinamo would help at all. Obviously not a great deal, but with most teams getting papped out we need all the points we can get.

for this season, Scotland has so far aquired 9 points. Rangers, who haven't kicked a ball yet have 4 of those points, over 44%. The others have contributed;

Motherwell 2.0

Falkirk 1.0

Celtic 1.0

Hearts 1.0

Aberdeen 0.0

• 3 weeks later...

Update of post 12:

Rangers 5.0

Motherwell 2.0

Falkirk 1.0

Hearts 1.0

Celtic 1.0

Aberdeen 0.0

Total 10.

Average just 1.66.

Thats what gets added to the countries coefficient so far this year due to the number of teams who competed but barely contributed. :(

When will the rest of Scottish football start pulling their weight?

To be fair, we did pish last season and Celtic were in the CL group stages. We got to the UEFA Cup Final in Madchester and so did Celtic in 2003.

I'd like to see our co-efficient points compared to Celtics since 2003.

The rest of the teams are pish, I'll agree with you there.

To be fair, we did pish last season and Celtic were in the CL group stages. We got to the UEFA Cup Final in Madchester and so did Celtic in 2003.

I'd like to see our co-efficient points compared to Celtics since 2003.

The rest of the teams are pish, I'll agree with you there.

Check the OP mate.

Takes into account the same 5 year period UEFA use for ranking teams. So even accounting for the disaster of Kaunus we've still contributed over 50% of the total coefficient points for Scotland. When you consider Kaunus the numbers are even more damning for the rest of Scotland, not us. :giruy:

remember it wasn't that long ago when we were the only team getting c/l football that we had a much better team and squad , yet continually getting horsed by Auxerre , grasshoppers , strasbourg etc etc etc back then NIAR was the only game in town , how times have changed

A very good point. When we had the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne we under-achieved big-time, much more proportionally than now. I also remember a bad defeat by AEK Athens.

Not quite sure what all this proves though. Was Europe not important to us then?

A very good point. When we had the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne we under-achieved big-time, much more proportionally than now. I also remember a bad defeat by AEK Athens.

Not quite sure what all this proves though. Was Europe not important to us then?

What might the Walter of now do with the team of then? :whistle:

I think for the majority of the time, based on our dominance of the domestic scene, we were just too cocky going into Europe.

Our best players failed to make their mark in the Champions League on too many occasions. We did manage the odd great result in between the dismal failures, but overall we were tactically naive to say the least.