The Season That Defines David Weir ?

33 Months ago David Weir signed for us, The Rangers.

Walter, David and the fans thought it would only be short term cover before younger, fresher centre backs were brought into the club.

33 months later and David is still here.

I must say i love the big man, he is a true proffesional and most players should look up to him. I think everyone at Rangers especially does this, at 39 years old he is still playing football at the top level, not only at the top level but for a massive club. The way he conducts his behaviour on and off the park is brilliant, well apart from when he showed Caldwell who was boss at Parkhead !

He loves playing for us and with the recent news of not playing with a contract, just sums him up for me !

David is also playing International football and Champions League football.

So hear i put to you, this season, Davie the captain of Rangers, he could go down as a legend ! To be fair i think everyone would agree that currently he is a "great"

With already 1 League in the bag as Captian ( all be it for not the whole season ), 2 Scottish Cups, 1 CIS Cup and runner up, Runner up in Uefa Cup and runner up in the league. If Weir gets his hands on that glittering SPL trophy again come May in my opinion he will become a legend. The captain and the man who has brung stability in our squad, also getting the SPL trophy back where it belongs in Scotland !

Legend might be a bit strong but he certainly wins everyones admiration. Its a pity we never signed him 10 years ago when he left Hearts. He managed to stroll the EPL for a number of years without being over glamorous or a star.

Nobody would grudge the man another title or few cups and he would deserve it for a great career.

It great to see him get recalled to the Scotland line up for this weeks games. If we overcome the odds and qualify for the WC next summer it would be a fantastic way for Weir to end his career at the WC. And if we do qualify it would be a crime if he didnt get to go should he not be injured.

He should certainly be considered for a defensive coach at Murray pk once he hangs up his boots.

I must know feck-all about football because I was dead against his signing when it happened. He's almost certainly Walter Mk II's best signing and has every right to be miffed at the amount of fawning Cuellar and Bougherra have received while he has been the lynch-pin of a rock-solid defence for two and a half years. Our defence hasn't been as consistently strong since Gough's era IMO. As for the way he conducts himself, he's a Ranger in the Struth-era mould.

Disagree that he is a "great" though Fraser. Meiklejohn and Corky Young were Rangers greats. Weir has simply been a very good defender in a mediocre Rangers outfit for 2 or 3 years.

Legend might be a bit strong but he certainly wins everyones admiration. Its a pity we never signed him 10 years ago when he left Hearts. He managed to stroll the EPL for a number of years without being over glamorous or a star.

Nobody would grudge the man another title or few cups and he would deserve it for a great career.

It great to see him get recalled to the Scotland line up for this weeks games. If we overcome the odds and qualify for the WC next summer it would be a fantastic way for Weir to end his career at the WC. And if we do qualify it would be a crime if he didnt get to go should he not be injured.

He should certainly be considered for a defensive coach at Murray pk once he hangs up his boots.

Bit quick for that suggestion, he still has another 10 years left in him !

I forgot to mention how he could also be attending another World Cup Finals

Why not consider him as a legend though, at the club for 3 and a half years after this season. I was only growing up during the 9 in a row period, but was Gazza not only at the club for that amount of time ??

Why not consider him as a legend though, at the club for 3 and a half years after this season. I was only growing up during the 9 in a row period, but was Gazza not only at the club for that amount of time ??

Scotland at the World Cup - stay off the fizzy drinks ma man! :D

I don't think you can compare Davie Weir with Gazza. Gazza was something special, a once-every-20-years footballer (or twice as in our case with Laudrup). I'm grateful for Weir's presence in the team, but Gascoigne was an absolute pinch-yourself privilege to have at the club.

As Norris says, he conducts himself as high as a Pro should. I would say its more tricky for a defender to become a legend than a goalscorer or a midfield who are easily hero's with goals. If we had him for nearer 5 years and he played to the same level then he would probably be in with a shout.

Gazza was a different level Fraser, he wasnt far from being one of the best in the world at his peak. He would score world class goals out of nothing about 15 times a season. Gazza is more than a Rangers legend, he is a legend in England and probably the light blue half of Rome.

As Norris says, he conducts himself as high as a Pro should. I would say its more tricky for a defender to become a legend than a goalscorer or a midfield who are easily hero's with goals. If we had him for nearer 5 years and he played to the same level then he would probably be in with a shout.

Gazza was a different level Fraser, he wasnt far from being one of the best in the world at his peak. He would score world class goals out of nothing about 15 times a season. Gazza is more than a Rangers legend, he is a legend in England and probably the light blue half of Rome.

All i was saying was though is that it doesn't matter how long you had at the club to become a legend.

If Weir wins the league this season he will defo be one, wrestling that championship back, just also the way he conducts himself on and off the park

All i was saying was though is that it doesn't matter how long you had at the club to become a legend.

If Weir wins the league this season he will defo be one, wrestling that championship back, just also the way he conducts himself on and off the park

You may have a point, if he plays as consistant as he has done so far and we win the league then at the end of the season we could judge. At the moment its still a no for me but who knows - 2 titles in 2 seasons plus another cup may put him on the way.!!

Davie Meiklejohn 1919-36, 563 apps (12 League titles, 5 Scottish Cups)

George Young 1941-57, 428 apps (6 League titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups)

Bob McPhail 1927-1940, 408 apps 261 goals (9 League titles, 6 Scottish Cups)

John Greig 1961-78, 755 apps (1 ECWC, 5 League titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups)

Ally McCoist 1983-98, 581 apps 355 goals (9 League titles, 1 Scottish Cup, 9 League Cups)

Brian Laudrup 1994-98 (God)

I'm a big fan of Davie Weir's, but he doesn't come close to any of the above. And that's no criticism.

"Legend" is bandied about far, far too easily these days.

Edited by Norris Cole
McCoist was a rare player but he didn't win 18 league titles