The Season That Defines David Weir ?

I think Gribz has it right. There can be no absolute when it comes to who is or isn't a Rangers legend. Some will attract a consensus while others will be more personal choices. I imagine few would argue with George Young, Tiger Shaw, John Greig or Richard Gough but many others are less clear in terms of years of service, appearances, trophies, etc. Jimmy Baxter is undoubtedly a legend for my generation, even though he squandered his talent and was the antithesis of the professional we admire so much at this club.

Back to the subject of Davie Weir, I've often thought that he and Colin Hendry should have been the natural successors when Richard Gough left in 1998. Both were Rangers men and consumate professionals in the best traditions of the club. Neither of them spent the time at the club they should have but I'm sure they appreciate having pulled on the blue shirt. Much as I always liked big Amoruso, Davie could have had more than a decade under his belt and no one would have argued with his legend status.

I think Gribz has it right. There can be no absolute when it comes to who is or isn't a Rangers legend. Some will attract a consensus while others will be more personal choices. I imagine few would argue with George Young, Tiger Shaw, John Greig or Richard Gough but many others are less clear in terms of years of service, appearances, trophies, etc. Jimmy Baxter is undoubtedly a legend for my generation, even though he squandered his talent and was the antithesis of the professional we admire so much at this club.

Back to the subject of Davie Weir, I've often thought that he and Colin Hendry should have been the natural successors when Richard Gough left in 1998. Both were Rangers men and consumate professionals in the best traditions of the club. Neither of them spent the time at the club they should have but I'm sure they appreciate having pulled on the blue shirt. Much as I always liked big Amoruso, Davie could have had more than a decade under his belt and no one would have argued with his legend status.

Yip 2 good points. I was going to elaborate a bit more on my earlier post but wanted to beat the traffic.

My point was the likes of Baxter and Greig are RFC legends and rightly so. But it is unlikely that more than 1 or 2 poster on here who can remember them playing so they are unlikely to be legends / favourites in the eyes of the future generations but they remain club legends - thats all the history of the club. Each fan should make their own mind up else its just like religion and having to follow the previous generation.

An interesting thread would be to see who everyone would have in there own personal list of favourties / legends to them.

Agree RE Hendry. I thought he was the perfect signing and should have had a longer Gers career regardless if he came as a player around 32.

When deciding who is and who isn't a legend, length of service and commitment to the club are among the most important factors IMO, as you can probably tell from the examples I gave earlier.

However, I also think you have to create another category which recognises once in a generation genius. I completely accept the arguments about Gascoigne and Laudrup not being legends but I respectfully disagree.

Jim Baxter, for example, played less games for Rangers than Peter Lovenkrands, yet we all know who made the greater contribution to the club. Will Lovenkrands be talked about 30 years after his retirement?

For me, Laudrup and Gascoigne attain legendary status for their genius as footballers while at the club, in spite of the short period of time they were at Rangers. A kid growing up today would probably be greatly surprised that Laudrup spent only four seasons at the club, such are the reverential tones with which he is spoken about by Bears.

We've been lucky to see some very good players in recent times - Huistra, Mikhailitchenko, Walters, de Boer - but Laudrup and Gascoigne were great. I live in hope we'll see something similar at Ibrox again.

Hendry and Weir - now that's a hell of a thought. I don't think anyone would have argued with that. The two best Scottish defenders of their generation and both Rangers men to boot. I'm sure they'd have more than dealt with some of the gobby wee shites in green and grey we've seen in recent times.