New main site design ideas...

Hi guys,

We're in the process of designing a new main site and have reached the stage where we'd like to invite ideas and suggestions before we finalise for launch.

What kind of functionality would you like to see? Should we work on the community side outside of the forum itself? What improvements to existing sections of the site can we make? Can sections be removed or should we expand upon them? Should we have more polls or less? Is the standard of our articles good enough? What about the frequency of them? Would you be interested in a media archive of photos and videos?

Gersnet is your site and forum so we're genuinely interested in your thoughts. Feel free to post them here or send them by pm.

Finally, if you think you have some specific talents which we could use (writing, programming, graphics etc) or just the time to assist with the simple maintenance of a Joomla CMS site; again please get in touch.

Link to main site here:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk

:spl:

I think it would be very useful to search for all the players at the club by year - if the the players names and the years the arrived and departed Ibrox are in a database it shouldn't be too much work. Also a search for ins and outs for any year which again the same info in the database could provide.

I apologise if that's already available or if it's too much work.

Not exactly what you want but the following section (not exhaustive unfortunately) allows you to search for a player surname where upon it tells you the years they placed for the club etc...

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2

4&Itemid=31

You can also search the archive season by season which does contain every player who was in the squad for that year.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=31

I guess another function could be added so the squad in any given year was available on its own. I'll look into that.

Like I say, if people are interested in working with Chic's Excel database to transfer parts of it online, we'd show you how this can be done. No programming knowledge is required for Joomla websites so it really is very easy - just time-consuming.

:)

PS I have skills in PHP, Java, Flash etc but not in CMS.

Joomla articles are added easily mate. It's essentially a WYSIWYG editor within the admin panel of the installation.

In saying that, I'd love to get something Flash based like Man Utd's Stretford End archive site but I don't have the Flash knowledge... :(

Frankie, just to help my general understanding could you explain the popularity and importance of the main site please - in the context of the forum? That might seem like a strange questions but (and this might just be me), I only come into forums and link to the main site on the back something which is posted. I basically don't really use the main site(s) on any of the Rangers messageboards.

I think it would be very useful to search for all the players at the club by year - if the the players names and the years the arrived and departed Ibrox are in a database it shouldn't be too much work. Also a search for ins and outs for any year which again the same info in the database could provide.

I apologise if that's already available or if it's too much work.

I created the past player index but never had the time to update it. Think the last player updated was bob malcom. If someone could point me to a transfers in and out site i will get to it.

My original idea was to have an actual database where you could type in a players name and you would get his full record but my knowledge of websites is very basic. If someone could create the database i could certainly input the data. (my wife types 50 words a minute!)

I created the past player index but never had the time to update it. Think the last player updated was bob malcom. If someone could point me to a transfers in and out site i will get to it.

My original idea was to have an actual database where you could type in a players name and you would get his full record but my knowledge of websites is very basic. If someone could create the database i could certainly input the data. (my wife types 50 words a minute!)

So you mean your wife would be updating it.:flipa:;)

Frankie, just to help my general understanding could you explain the popularity and importance of the main site please - in the context of the forum? That might seem like a strange questions but (and this might just be me), I only come into forums and link to the main site on the back something which is posted. I basically don't really use the main site(s) on any of the Rangers messageboards.

I don't have the visitor stats to hand but essentially we use the main site to communicate our articles to the online support at large - many of whom don't want to register for the forum and/or may already be members of other forums. As well as that, it contains the kind of info about the club you'd get on most sites (squad info, staff info, stadium info etc).

In addition to this, the Rangers Archive part of the site contains a handy online version of "The Horse with No Name's" Excel file as well as other relevant other items/articles about our club's history and background.

The main site is more a hobby than anything else but it is worth the effort to keep it ongoing to those that are not members of our humble wee forum can see what we're thinking.

:)

Would be great if you fancied updating it mate...

Soccerbase.com has a list of transfers since the days of big bad Boab!