RST re-invented again

The RST, that representer of almost no one at all, has been busy re-inventing itself. Like that other mythological fella the phoenix, a new website has risen from the ashes of theold and a reshuffled board of deflectors has been 'created'.

The new website still doesn't have a forum for its members, although there may be too few of those now to start a conversation let alone a forum.

As for the board of deflectors, out goes David Edgar, Fraser Martin, Graeme Hanna, who join the recently departed John Gilligan on the growing list of ex-deflectors. In come four more unelected souls to do the master's bidding and ensure the upcoming AGM in another suitably quiet affair.

You have to wonder why they bother any more. No one else does.

To be pedantic (moi?, surely not), Edgar and Martin are remaining on the Board, they are just standing down from their positions of vice-chairman and secretary.

There are 2 coming on board, one of whom is a good guy. (Don't know the other)...best of luck, mate, you'll need it. :D

As for Gilligan, he stood down a year ago, and not "earlier in the year" as the RST said.

I would associate more closely with MF's opinion on the RST. Similar to him, I believe, I was a paid up member who became disillusioned when self advancement of individuals appeared to take precedence over the advancement of the RST and Rangers. (obviously feel free to state that I have misunderstood your view MF).

One thing that never changed for me was the fact that I was highly impressed with the way David Edgar represented the RST and the Rangers support at large.

Sometimes I'm not as well up with the others as to the political machinations of certain organisations but I find myself having even less confidence in the RST in light of DE's step down.

S_A, David Edgar is remaining as a RST media spokesman. He has just resigned as vice-chairman.

The RST Board wishes to announce the following changes. David Edgar is stepping down as Vice-Chair and will be replaced by Gordon Dinnie. David will remain a media spokesman and a committed and highly valued member of the Board. Due to work and family commitments Fraser Martin is being replaced as Secretary by Andy Cumming but will also remain on the Board. The Board would like to thank David and Fraser for all the work carried out in these roles and are delighted that they are staying on the Board. We also wish Gordon and Andy all the best in their new positions.

Stepping down from the Board is Graeme Hanna. We thank Graeme for his contribution in the last year. Following John Gilligan�s resignation earlier in the year this left two vacancies. We are delighted to announce that we have co-opted two new Board members, Kenny Park and Glen Kane. Both gentlemen have vast experience of business and are, of course, committed Rangers fans and Trust members. We are looking forward to working with them and are sure they will make a significant contribution to the running and development of the Trust.

Additional changes and opportunities will be announced in the next few days.

One thing that never changed for me was the fact that I was highly impressed with the way David Edgar represented the RST and the Rangers support at large.

The thing is though, that the Rangers support at large has never elected him to speak on their behalf.

The thing is though, that the Rangers support at large has never elected him to speak on their behalf.

And therein, from day one, was the inevitable failure of the RST. It's not to say he doesn't do a reasonable job of communicating on radio and TV but that he has no mandate and his views are essentially his own.

I would associate more closely with MF's opinion on the RST. Similar to him, I believe, I was a paid up member who became disillusioned when self advancement of individuals appeared to take precedence over the advancement of the RST and Rangers. (obviously feel free to state that I have misunderstood your view MF).

Sometimes I'm not as well up with the others as to the political machinations of certain organisations but I find myself having even less confidence in the RST in light of DE's step down.

I believe I have some dubious distinction in the annals of the RST. To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only life member who has been offered (and given) his money back.

The reason for this? I have persistently asked the RST for details of their membership, especially since I heard David Edgar responding to a direct question on Radio Scotland about a year ago that the RST "had 5000 paid up members". Clearly this was an intentional lie, concocted on the spot to cover up the RST's lack of constituency amongst the Rangers support. It was also utterly unacceptable and I pressed RST board members at every opportunity for their actual membership numbers.

I wouldn't have thought this was an unreasonable request but emails and direct questions remain unanswered - not falsely answered, just ignored. A couple of months ago this culminated in an offer to repay my life membership if I wasn't happy with the way the RST was conducting its affairs. Out of disgust, I accepted, also thinking that this might set a precedent that would allow other disaffected life members a means of escape.

So there you have it, rather than answer enquiries about its true membership numbers, the RST is inviting its life members to leave, forking out �£100 a time for the privilege of protecting this top secret information. Anything you ever needed to know about the RST is encapsulated in that one act.

Excluding the convenient subterfuge of including all members who ever joined but failing to subtract those who have since left, and ignoring life members who until now have been unable to 'leave', the actual RST membership has been variously estimated at somewhere south of 500 members. Whatever the current membership, it seems to me the RST board wishes to maintain an importance in the Rangers community that it in no way deserves or justifies. It essentially has no mandate but continues to be sought out by the media to speak on behalf of the entire Rangers support - which is why I have deep reservations about the status being assumed by David Edgar and the one person who has dominated the direction of the RST since its inception and who has been almost single-handedly responsible for its miserable failure.

The RST was the best hope this support ever had of achieving a meaningful relationship with the club and the wider Scottish society ..... and we blew it because a handful of ego-on-legs saw it principally as a means of self-promotion. That these people haven't been hounded out long ago is testament to the apathy that holds us all back and allows certain people to pursue such personal goals.

I recently made public an estimate of the RST membership at 147 misguided souls :whistle: and I have yet to receive any contrary opinion from the RST board. One day perhaps.

Of course, those who left during the RST's own cultural revolution will know more than I do and may wish to contribute.

Edited by maineflyer

True though I don't think he ever claimed to represent our fans as a whole. However, due to his role with the RST it was inevitable he woudl be presented by the media as speaking for us as a whole.

True though I don't think he ever claimed to represent our fans as a whole. However, due to his role with the RST it was inevitable he woudl be presented by the media as speaking for us as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with DA or how he performs, I think he's very competent. The issue is the media regarding the RST as the natural voice of Rangers supporters, when that organisation represents almost no one, and the RST not only being happy to go along with that misconception but prepared to knowingly falsify the size of its membership in order to sustain the myth. I think you'll agree that ain't right by any measure.

:fish:

The RST, that representer of almost no one at all, has been busy re-inventing itself. Like that other mythological fella the phoenix, a new website has risen from the ashes of theold and a reshuffled board of deflectors has been 'created'.

The new website still doesn't have a forum for its members, although there may be too few of those now to start a conversation let alone a forum.

As for the board of deflectors, out goes David Edgar, Fraser Martin, Graeme Hanna, who join the recently departed John Gilligan on the growing list of ex-deflectors. In come four more unelected souls to do the master's bidding and ensure the upcoming AGM in another suitably quiet affair.

You have to wonder why they bother any more. No one else does.

Seeing as you think Setting the Standard and the Trust are each a waste of effort, what do you suggest as alternatives MF?