When did ââ?¬Å?defendingââ?¬Â� become a dirty word?

With another enthralling Champions League encounter upon us I have spent my free time scouring the internet for debate and discussion of the upcoming European midweek. Instead of joining the excited chattering over the expensive talents of Sevilla against whom we are about to test ourselves, I have been greeted by a thunder of grumbling and groaning over an anticipated anti-climax.

No doubt our appalling league form has contributed to the lack of enthusiasm for the forthcoming fixture. Not only are we struggling for goals and victories, but our pot 1 opponents are in excellent form having taken maximum points in each of their fixtures throughout September. Whilst we have managed just a solitary victory over Division 1 Queen of the South, Sevilla have swept aside all in their path with only Real Zaragoza managing to breach their goal. Even if were hitting top gear, only the most blinkered of fan would not admit that it will be a tough fixture. However, previous such matches have been greeted with fear and hope in equal measure.

Too often I have read comments of fans who would not attend the game even on a complimentary ticket as they will not suffer the indignity of watching their team play for a nil-nil draw. Apparently, the only games of football in which you should follow their team are against inferior opposition where attacking with reckless abandon is the order of the day.

Perhaps a greater interest in the “sweet science” of boxing may prove enlightening to such fans. Their preference for football would be akin to two pub drunks flailing away, swinging hay makers and taking as much damage as they might be able to inflict. Students of the “gentleman’s sport” will more keenly appreciate the need for a great defence is as important as a great offence. Come out swinging against a superior opponent and your night could be over in the opening rounds. Despite its brutality, boxing is a thinking man’s sport and time and again Walter Smith and his Rangers team have shown an ability to soak up the opponent’s early pressure before delivering a knockout blow in the Championship Rounds.

Success in prizefighting, or indeed any other sport, is achieved through maximising your strengths, minimising your weaknesses and taking advantage of your opponents. In much the same way any football manager must look to maximise the qualities of his squad, play to its strengths and look to exploit any deficiencies in your opposition.

With the quality of opposition dispatched on the way to the 2008 UEFA Cup Final it would be a little unfair to dismiss that run as merely luck. As such, Walter Smith had struck on a winning formula for that squad. Suggestions this pre-season were that Smith may utilise a more attacking outlook this season and certainly that has been the intention of setting out in a 4-3-3 formation, even if it has not yet been perfected. I do not expect an expansive attacking game from Rangers on Tuesday. I expect Smith to set out with the game plan that maximises our chances of obtaining a positive result. Building a game plan on defensive solidity and playing for 0-0 draw is not the same thing.

Defence may be attack’s unfancied sibling. A dirty word in the corridors and changing rooms of the Nou Camp. It does not grab the headlines and the column inches in the same way that offensive prowess can. However, it is every bit as important if a positive result is to be achieved. Defending is not a crime. But playing with no sense of attacking ambition is!

Edited by Super_Ally

With the quality of opposition dispatched on the way to the 2008 UEFA Cup Final it would be a little unfair to dismiss that run as merely luck. As such, Walter Smith had struck on a winning formula for that squad. Suggestions this pre-season were that Smith may utilise a more attacking outlook this season and certainly that has been the intention of setting out in a 4-3-3 formation, even if it has not yet been perfected. I do not expect an expansive attacking game from Rangers on Tuesday. I expect Smith to set out with the game plan that maximises our chances of obtaining a positive result. Building a game plan on defensive solidity and playing for 0-0 draw is not the same thing.

Given the quality and form of tonights opposition and form Ally i will gladly accept a draw in any way shape or form. i fully expect a backs against the wall performance, not because we choose to, rather because we have to.

Defending is not a crime. But playing with no sense of attacking ambition is!

This statement sums up the 2008 season to a tee mate. Imo Smith spent more time trying not to lose rather than trying to win, and that is a crime. Flair and skill where replaced with stubborness caution. as a Rangers supporter and a football fan I found it totally unacceptable.

If a boxer wants to win a fight he has to throw a few killer punches along the line somewhere no matter how defensively he fights, and for me Smith doesnt throw enough.

Yeah, I think the 'anti-football' thing has been over-egged by an omni-present media desperate to find fault with our club and a section of the support desperate to be negative about our club...

No-one wants our team to be overly negative or to go into games thinking we can't win. That would be ridiculous. However, sometimes the opposition demands a more tactical, defensive outlook. If that means more European finals and SPL trophies, that's fine by me.

In an ideal world I guess all teams would just go out and attack each other. Everyone playing like Brazil. The reality is though, that sometimes playing a more cautious game and looking to hit on the counter will yield a better result. And at the end of the day the manager's job is to get the best result for his team.

Yeah, I think the 'anti-football' thing has been over-egged by an omni-present media desperate to find fault with our club and a section of the support desperate to be negative about our club...

Spot on, but it was never valid criticism from bheasts, as we know and they know what their answer would be if we asked them what they would rather: played defensive football and won the UEFA Cup, or played attacking and gone out in the 3rd round.

Remember, the anti-football jibe was first used by Barca manager, Frank Rijkaard to describe ra Sellik's performance at the Nou Camp.

Radio Snyde's Bitter Martin, ra Bhoy in Cordoroy, Glenn Gibbons, Kevin McCarra, Phil Gordon, ............................. etc; all those on message media wallahs took the term and increasingly applied it to Rangers successful run to the UEFA Cup final two years past. It has become their much cherished comfort blanket.

Remember, the anti-football jibe was first used by Barca manager, Frank Rijkaard to describe ra Sellik's performance at the Nou Camp.

Radio Snyde's Bitter Martin, ra Bhoy in Cordoroy, Glenn Gibbons, Kevin McCarra, Phil Gordon, ............................. etc; all those on message media wallahs took the term and increasingly applied it to Rangers successful run to the UEFA Cup final two years past. It has become their much cherished comfort blanket.

Whilst you are quite right it was actually Rangers fan (on FF) using that and other jibes that stimulated this. :(

I do acknowledge that Smith has infact tried to change our style of play and for that i will give him credit. But i dont think the fans could have put up with another season like 2007/8. Uefa Cup Final or not the standard of football was very poor and merited very little credit or repect from any observers. Being resepected by your opponent is a compliment and it is gained showing skill class and a willingness to win on the park. We fail to show any of those qualities.

And thats where the players come in. They have to start show their quality and class on the park. They have to dig deep and up their game a level. They did it in Stuggart for 45 minutes and raised a few ibrows. We gained a little bit of respect. And if they show the same attitude and determination tonight we gain a little bit more.

can the real Glasgow Rangers please stand up!