A scenario - RST and RSA

Guest enigmablue

Guest enigmablue

Following on from the other RST thread but looking at a different scenario.

If the RSA, with the consent of Rangers FC and the support of the RST (hypothetical), decided to try to reach the wider support through Gersave becoming a mainstream opt-in system through a tick and flick box on the season ticket renewal would you support it.

Discuss :box:

If the RSA, with the consent of Rangers FC and the support of the RST (hypothetical), decided to try to reach the wider support through Gersave becoming a mainstream opt-in system through a tick and flick box on the season ticket renewal would you support it.

Definetly I actually sent this idea to the trust a couple of years ago , but they were in the midst of really bad rerlations with the club so I dont know if it was ever proposed . I also thought about every season ticket holder being offered the chance to join the trust through the same means as you proposed , it just takes a bit of imagination on the clubs part

Guest enigmablue
Definetly I actually sent this idea to the trust a couple of years ago , but they were in the midst of really bad rerlations with the club so I dont know if it was ever proposed . I also thought about every season ticket holder being offered the chance to join the trust through the same means as you proposed , it just takes a bit of imagination on the clubs part

Ok - one reply and one in agreement so far.

So lets assume part of the goal, apart from the RSA actively being involved in promoting share ownership, is to be a self funded organisation.

If the tick and flick box, also opts to give the RSA 5-10 quid each year to assist with running the organisation would you then opt-in for this?

Ok - one reply and one in agreement so far.

So lets assume part of the goal, apart from the RSA actively being involved in promoting share ownership, is to be a self funded organisation.

If the tick and flick box, also opts to give the RSA 5-10 quid each year to assist with running the organisation would you then opt-in for this?

Is this instead of the club paying or part paying for the running of the RSA , to be honest I think we might end up with too many supporters groups and I done really know what the RSA actually stand for .

Why do we need so many representational organisations? Why would we want to pay subscriptions to the RSA when we already have the option to do the same to the RST? What is it you think the RSA could do that the RST couldn't?

Isn't what we really need a strong and effective Supporters Trust? We have what we need, it's just been a dysfunctional mess so far.

What I can't see any point of is the RSA, never have.

Why do we need so many representational organisations? Why would we want to pay subscriptions to the RSA when we already have the option to do the same to the RST? What is it you think the RSA could do that the RST couldn't?

Isn't what we really need a strong and effective Supporters Trust? We have what we need, it's just been a dysfunctional mess so far.

Have to say I totally agree with your comments , I always believed the RSA were set up to diminish any form of strength that the RST was gathering, Murray aint stupid

I'm not sure why there is the suggestion to get the RSA involved. Is it because they have nominally a far bigger membership?

The RSA don't communicate with their members directly and have nothing to do with the season ticket renewals.

The season ticket renewals could not be used anyway as the club apparently can't be seen to be supporting or promoting Gersave based on legal advise they have received.

Guest enigmablue
I'm not sure why there is the suggestion to get the RSA involved. Is it because they have nominally a far bigger membership?

The RSA don't communicate with their members directly and have nothing to do with the season ticket renewals.

The season ticket renewals could not be used anyway as the club apparently can't be seen to be supporting or promoting Gersave based on legal advise they have received.

Sorry been awol with work and uni for the last few days so sorry for the late reply.

Yes, BD. Simply the RSA by the nature of the organisation and the supporters groups within it have the means to access a larger supporters group. Essentially, if they become self-funding (through some mass scale marketing e.g ST's) then in essence they'll eventually become independent which would hopefully be reflected in their policies and advocacy for supporters and not just a mouthpiece of the club.

As for the ST renewals, i didn't realise that legal issue. However if the RSA adopted the same practice as the RST whereby a share was offered with membership does this still count. e.g. $10 quid goes to RSA and then RSA send you out your share certificate and other membership perks.

It's true the RSA don't directly communicate with their members but i could say the same for the RST :fish:

Guest enigmablue

Q1 . We don't need so many. That's the point.

Q2. As an RST member and a supporter of their initiatives, maybe the RST needs to realise that it hasn't really achieved all that it set out to do. I'll not mention the M-word as that set you off MF but we all know its dwindling and with that goes a chance to have a larger influence on the wider support. DE does a good job as spokesperson IMO but recently the tone of some of the press releases has been no better than that of the press we all moan about. Snidey and unprofessional.

Q3. Bring in the moderates like my old man who recognise we need change but who have the opinion that RST = FF = Wallow Wallow = Nutters. Some people are very wary of FF yet the RST seems unable to seperate itself from FF.

Hope that answers your questions.

The RSA has new blood and they seem to be making an effort to modernise e.g. the new website. Communcation seems to be improving from what i've seen and they now need to understand the context of how the can influence the landscape of supporters. SDM as we all know set it up as divide and conquer exercise and to Murray's credit he was spot on. The Jim Templeton resignation from the RSA should have been the stick with which the RST beat Murray to the ground but they fluffed it. JT's resignation letter was pretty cutting in his criticism of the club, yet it achieved not very much. Maybe it's time the RSA turned the tables on the club. By becoming self-funding, it can ultimately in the long term make the shift from the middle ground and apparent "mouthpiece of the club" to a great asset and strong advocacy group for fans worldwide.

As a member and interested party in all 3 main Rangers supporters groups, the Association, Assembly and Trust, I can see the argument that we, as fans, would be better served by one single, independant, organisation to put forward our wishes and views to the club.

I can also see that each organisation has it's own primary function that none of the other 2 get involved with, so there is an argument for all 3 as viable mouthpieces of the fans in their current status.

The big stumbling block for all 3 groups is that the current owner and former chairman does not really care what they think, as is his right, and he only talks to them and uses them when it suits his own agenda or needs their help to sell something to the support.

There are many issues that these groups should have been working on, and should currently be working on, that they simply do not do.

Long before any notion that the Assembly can be better off self-funded, it has to get more active and more recognised as a viable organisation in the view of the majority of the support. It is seen as only the vehicle to quash the RST, or as the umbrella organisation that the club can bat off questions from worldwide fans and RSC's to without having to deal with them directly. "Take it up with the Assembly" is the well worn cry from the marble staircase.

Recently, the Assembly has been making noises about trying to change it's outlook. I was at the recent fans forum meeting where the Assembly opened it's eyes to the main issues affecting the Rangers support, and vowed to look to take these issues forward in any way they could.

How they get on in the next few months with making a start in these directions will go a long way in trying to gain some much-needed credibility amongst the wider support.

The RST is clearly a little in the doldrums. After the in-fighting and split of 2008, it has had a very quiet year trying to regroup. The recent poorly attended AGM was a big disappointment, but they have started to improve in certain areas, and there are noises there also about trying to be more positive and forward-thinking.

As "ordinary" supporters we can only wish all 3 organisations every success, and hope that they can make progress in their chosen fields, as the ultimate winner of any good work is the club. With a new chairman and a promise from Murray that he is really going to stay away this time, there is a ray of hope for the supporters organisations that there may be a fresh chance to work with the club for the betterment of all.