Got another 90 minutes tonight in a 4-0 win..

Good result for Portugal. Sounds like they cruised the game from what I've read, although Malta are mince so you wouldn't expect Portugal to struggle. I wonder if Mendes will start on Saturday, given that he might not train until Friday?? mmm...

Well predicted Shroomz, a Mendes no-show today.

This is where international football really pisses me off, when it affects the performances, fitness and availability of our key players.

I'm not sure Mendes can blame a 3-month vanishing act on this week's internationals.

The thing is Norris, to you and to me his form this season has been below par (being kind), but it was deemed good enough to get him not only into the squad but into the starting 11 of a decent European International side who had two important WC games to play, and were a man or two short.

Obviously, those watching Mendes on behalf of the national side thought his form was decent enough, while we discuss dropping him from our threadbare squad.

I am not sure quite what that says about either the Portugal national side or Rangers supporters.

I think the problem is that in the SPL, 9 times of out 10 (or even 10/10) we have a 4 man midfield up against a 5 man opposition midfield.

That will mean that unless we have a Lafferty, Naismith, Miller or Novo tracking back, we will be over-run at times. That means the creative influence of a Mendes (or Davis) will be lost while a McCulloch, Thomson or Edu may appear to be playing better than they actually are. Meanwhile our ability to maintain possession further forward is also lost as one of our attackers is always coming deep.

Perhaps the Portugal scouts can see get beyond the frustration we feel with our team being outfought in that department to find that Mendes is still capable of dictating the play but simply can't in a Rangers team that lacks the tactical guile and committed work-rate to find the space for him to exploit?