No midfield - no chance of success

It's incredibly difficult not to criticise individuals after so many bad performances. However, we are losing games as a team so it's important that when we look back, we examine the team itself - as well as ask why AN Other refuses to build a sweat....

As such, for me, most of the team's problems are coming from the midfield. No matter who we have played in there this season, the problems are evident - both in terms of allowing runners from opposition teams to cause our defence problems (and this make them sit even deeper) and in terms of not supporting the attack (often only one player) to help maintain possession up front.

Of course the other parts of the team need to take the blame as well. Our defence was woeful last night and our attack have been that inconsistent, I don't think we've played the same partnership in two successive games yet. The manager also needs to have a long look in the mirror when he appears unable to motivate or mould his players into providing better performances.

However, it is the midfield - the most crucial part of any team IMO - that is letting us down. Even worse for us, this part of the team contains our most expensive players - both in initial outlay and wage.

Jerome Rothen - Unable to get a game for an average PSG team because of lack of pace, fitness and attitude problems. Yet seems to appear right across our midfield in a variety of games without any dangerous contribution whatsoever.

Steven Davis - �£3million player who absolutely refuses to get involved in the physical nature of the Scottish game. Fair enough if he was actually getting forward but passes backwards more often than Barry Ferguson while absolving himself of responsibility by hiding at right back to allow Whittaker to get forward.

Pedro Mendes - Another �£3million player who flatters to deceive. However, with absolutely no outlet to pass to (other than defenders) I'm starting to understand why he's so ineffectual. Our forwards can't control a ball and are easily marked out of games - when we actually play two of them that is. Is it any wonder that his centre-halves seem to be a better option?

Kevin Thomson - Just back from (another) long term knee injury so his lack of form can be accounted for - to a degree. Constantly giving the ball away, failing to read the game and poor decision-making isn't affected by injury though. Must do better!

Lee McCulloch - Probably our best midfielder this season which says it all about the above. However, his lack of mobility and pace would only cause us more problems in the long run. Not the answer.

Steven Naismith - Started the season brightly enough but is wasted on the left of a 5-man midfield. Must play off the striker in a free role to benefit the team. In saying that, he's another player only too willing to hide on the flank when the tough gets going.

So there we have it. Six players - all costing �£2million+ and/or with large wages failing the team, the manager, the fans and themselves with under-performance.

Worst thing is we have little or no-one to replace them with. Beasley, Fleck, Novo, Ness, Shinnie and Edu all have their pros and cons but I don't think any of us can say with authority they'd bring an improvement. However, that is not a reason NOT to make the change.

Edu may not yet be fit but the other names mentioned must be called upon when the current incumbents refuse to or appear incapable of raising their game against even the most average of oppositions.

If our midfield doesn't start functioning then our chances of success are minimal.

Edited by Frankie

There's no doubting that we have a midfield who potentially have the class to dominate oppositions. However, for some reason or another they tend to stutter their way through games without having much affect on them. They don't seem interested to support our attackers nor do they dictate play. More often than not we're being outplayed by lesser teams (St Johnstone, Unirea, Killie, Motherwell and dare I say it QOTS). There's no fight, no fluency and very little forward passing. If all else fails it's a backwards pass to the defence for either Weir to punt the ball aimlessly upto a striker or Boogie to create something.

Davis - the boy has talent. He's shown it in glimpses during his time at Rangers. He often hides in matches and shirks out of tackles. His 1st touch is always backwards. He isn't our worst performing midfielder though.

Mendes - a Champions League winner however, he plays more like a Sunday league footballer than a world class midfielder. What kind of player is he? A ball winner? A flair player? A playmaker? Someone who can create something out of nothing? I'm at a loss to describe his style of play.

McCulloch - started the season off as the holding midfielder in the absence of Thomson and if I'm honest was one of our better performers. Being punted from pillar to post can't help him settle into a position however, he's no better than average and shouldn't be near the 1st team. Can score the odd goal but always flatters to deceive.

Thomson - the ball winnner. The guy who wins the ball and makes the easy pass to players like Davis and Mendes who can create something (who am I kidding?). Still fighting match fitness after being out for 9 or 10 months and is a bit rusty. I'd have him in my team every day of the week. He needs to find some form though.

Rothen aka Jonny Rotten - slow, lazy and unfit. Go!

Will WS bring Edu back into the team when he's fit again? I doubt it as he really only got his chance last season when others were injured. WS has favourites and while he probably thinks Edu is a good player he isn't a favourite of his.

What really annoys me though is how we have no urgency going forward. It's like 2 passes forward and then 3 passes back.

Boring, boring Rangers! :yawn:

Davis - not putting in enough. Scared to tackle.

Thomson - slowly getting there, but getting no help.

Rothen - Why?

Mendes - seems to hide away. Scared to tackle.

McCulloch - being used to fill in a position he is woeful in. Not his fault. Has been putting in performances in Midfield when played there.

Naismith - I think he is a very good player, but he is being asked to do too much. Tackles, tracks and can see the pass.

Davis - Constantly played out of position or moved about. Has talent and needs to apply himself more.

Mendes - Im going to defend him, i think playing in a system that WS gives total affects his game and he must be wondering why he left the EPL. He reads the game well and has that bit of quality to unlock defences but he needs 2 strikers ahead of him.

McCulloch - Ive given up with why WS still plays him anywhere. He ALWAYS starts seasons with 1 or 2 good games but is finished after that. id only play him in his natural role of either LM or upfront.

Thomson - He has never stood out for me but was effective last season at times. may still be rusty from his lay off so should be given time.

Rothen - not worth a mention when he makes Capucho look a player.

Naismith - Another who doesnt impress me. Just seems to huff and puff about the place and never looks in a natural position.

Beasley - Id give him another go on the left.

Edu - Sorely missed.

This about sums it up.

The engine room is vital and on paper we have far superior options than any other club in Scotland. So why do they play like we are inferior to every other team in Scotland?

Not one single midfield player is performing atm.