That Was The Week That Was

This time last week we were waiting with bated breath on the outcome of three decisions that could have, and still could have, major impact on our immediate and long term future and stability. Firstly there was the long awaited and much anticipated release of our latest financial figures. As usual rumours were spreading like a wild bush fire regarding these figures and some profits of doom speculating that we would be close to doubling our debt. As the figures show, this was nowhere near the case as our debt rose to �£31M. Now, this isnâ��t acceptable and is a direct consequence of gross mismanagement and the blame lies squarely at the door of SDM. However, it wasnâ��t as bad as predicted and whilst we still require urgent investment, a new owner and someone to stand up to the plate and ensure that Rangers have a rosy future to look forward to.

Another announcement that had the media in Scotland choking on their words was UEFAââ?¬â?¢s decision to impose a small fine on Rangers for our fans part in the disturbance in Romania. It appears that instead of listening to the journalists with an agenda, UEFA looked at the facts, took eyewitness reports into account and handed out a fine and punishment that fitted the ââ?¬Ë?crimeââ?¬â?¢. Anyone who has followed Rangers abroad has their own tales of woe regarding entry into stadiums, over zealous policing and stewarding, unfit and unsafe stadiums etc. This is no excuse for the tiny minority who attach themselves to our club and travel abroad hell-bent on trouble, but there is always two sides to every story and mitigating circumstances.

The only decision that you could label as having gone against us last week was the decision of the EPL to firmly close the door on our introduction to the English Premiership. I think it is safe to say that the majority of Rangers fans were hoping for some positive news or noises to emanate from this meeting but it appears that our route to the EPL is firmly closed for the time being. The renewal of the SKY contract in 3 years could see the door being wedged back open as if SKY want us in the EPL, they�ll get us in the EPL. Otherwise we�ll just have to cut our cloth accordingly and make the best of the league that we are currently plying our trade in.

So its back to business on Saturday as we welcome Kilmarnock to Ibrox and its high time we found a level of performance that is acceptable and a level of consistency that can propel us to another SPL title. Currently the top of the SPL is tight due to the terrible form of both halves of the OF. This is the stage of the season where we must take advantage and establish a lead in the title race. We have the players at our disposal but they have to show the greed, hunger and desire that is required. If they are sent out in the correct formation with the correct instructions (tactics) then they should be able to defeat everything that is put in front of them domestically. If the league is to be decided on the Old Firm meetings, then I am glad that we have Walter Smith in charge as despite his obvious and many failings, the silverfox knows how to defeat Celtc.

Liars And Thieves

Is there any other way to describe DUFC after their decision to force fans to pay for admission into the replayed SPL game? On leaving the initial game, it was announced (several times I may add) that all fans should keep their ticket stubs as this would gain them admission to the replayed game. DUFC have now gone back on their word and are charging Ã?£12 for a ticket. This is nothing short of despicable and should be used by the Rangers fans as our ââ?¬Ë?line in the sandââ?¬â?¢. A fully supported boycott should be called by all Rangers fans groups, Rangers Supporters Clubs and all Rangers fans. I would extend this boycott to all games against DUFC at Tannidice and any cup game against them where they receive 50% of the gate receipts.

DUFC can�t be allowed to blatantly lie then rob more money from the fans. With this disgraceful turnaround they have shown that they are only interesting in our money, so lets deprive them of this income from now on. We fill their stadium twice a season and fill their coffers of we meet them in a cup tie. Depriving them over a period of time will be just rewards for them attempting to cash in on us on this occasion.

Hopefully the appropriate fans groups will get together and make the necessary announcements and it would be nice to see Rangers FC backing a boycott and urging fans to stick together on this issue. As the replayed game is on SKY we wouldn�t be missing out as we all could tune in to the game. Again, with the game on SKY we should send, say 50 or so fans (Rangers paying for their tickets) to spread our huge banners letting the entire country know exactly what we think of DUFC and this greedy decision.

The National Laughing Stock

Long-term readers will know my feelings on international football and the reasons I no longer give a damn about the national team. However, being at a loose end on Saturday I decided to tune in and give the national team a viewing and see if I could get myself reconnected with them. This apparition on my part lasted all of 45 minutes when I decided to switch my allegiances to the national rugby team. I said a few years back that I wouldn�t watch Scotland if they were playing in my back garden. After Saturdays debacle I would add that if they were playing in my back garden I�d not only not watch them, I close the fooking curtains.

This may be my club loyalties here, but was it any coincidence that Scotland�s back four contained three Celtc players? Wales looked likely to score every time they crossed the halfway line and Scotland offered the square-root of nothing. I won�t drag this into a Tartan Army debate, but I can�t understand how any Rangers fan can give support to this anti-Rangers establishment and Rangers hating support.

Given the recent performances it wasnââ?¬â?¢t a surprise that George Burley was relieved from his duties and the scramble for a new manager has begun. Itââ?¬â?¢s great listening to the Tartan Army (who made them spokesmen for the Scotland support) clamber to get their agenda approved by the media. It is no surprise that the names of Barry Ferguson, Allan McGregor and Kris Boyd are being brought to the fore and the three players receiving a verbal kicking from the Tartan Army (again). The names being banded about to replace Burley are hardly likely to get the pulses racing and if I were a betting man, Iââ?¬â?¢d put a sneaky fiver on Suntan Calderwood. This wouldnââ?¬â?¢t go down well with sections of the media or the sections of the Tartan Army as the last thing they want is another Rangers minded man at the helm. Their sights are currently on removing Gordon Smith from his post as heââ?¬â?¢s seen as just another ââ?¬Ë?hunââ?¬â?¢.

Sections of the media are claiming that Scotland require and deserve (delusions of grandeur there) a ââ?¬Ë?big nameââ?¬â?¢ appointment and they are urging the SFA to stump up the cash to lure a ââ?¬Ë?big fishââ?¬â?¢. The prerequisite appears to be a manager who has a proven track record both domestically and internationally, someone who has managed both here in the UK and in Europe (and further a-field). I understand that my non-interest in the national team probably precludes me from suggesting a replacement, but the above describes one manger perfectly, step forward Dick Advocaat. Now if that doesnââ?¬â?¢t have the Tartan Army choking on their see-you-jimmy wigs then nothing will!

Cammy F - We Are The People

The names being banded about to replace Burley are hardly likely to get the pulses racing and if I were a betting man, I’d put a sneaky fiver on Suntan Calderwood. This wouldn’t go down well with sections of the media or the sections of the Tartan Army as the last thing they want is another Rangers minded man at the helm. Their sights are currently on removing Gordon Smith from his post as he’s seen as just another ‘hun’.

Gordon Smith should be removed from his post though! So should anyone else in the SFA involved in the decision making post 'boozegate' that led to the lifetime bans for Ferguson & McGregor only for the bans to be lifted now that Burley has been punted? The SFA are having a laugh. The events of that week after we got beaten in Holland couldn't be more ridiculous. It was a bloody media circus & you can be sure that they sold more rags than they do most weeks. The SFA completely lost the plot & allowed the media to become the ones in charge. Why McGregor & Ferguson were even put on the bench that night against Iceland is a complete mystery to me because they were never getting on the field barring McGregor being needed in what would have been a rare emergency keeper substitution. They shouldn't have been on the bench after the media circus of the previous days & it's Burley, Gordon Smith and the SFA that should be blamed for allowing the whole thing to be such a farce. This weeks events are proof of the pudding that Smith is getting used to working in a circus. The circus is the SFA.

Edited by Zappa