Bain Praises Supporters Groups

CHIEF exec's appreciation of fans organisations' efforts in Seville

More...

RANGERS chief executive Martin Bain today praised the Rangers Supporters Assembly and fans groups for their efforts in the run up to the club's UEFA Champions League tie in Seville.

He said:" The club and supporters' groups worked well together prior to this match to try to ensure Seville was an enjoyable experience for everyone travelling.

"While the result was disappointing for the team, the supporters groups did everything they could and in general the atmosphere in Seville was relaxed.

"It was important for the fans to finish the Champions' League campaign without any problems and the supporters responded well.

"I would like to pay particular tribute to those fans representatives who met with the club and made a big effort to spread the word among all supporters.."

Edited by Frankie

I would just like to add to that statement that Kenny Scott has done a tremendous job with this match.

At the 2 meetings he has spoken at with both supporters reps and the open meeting, he went over in some detail the plans that he and the Spanish authorities had put in place for this match, and that every single point he made was carried out and was exactly as he said had been agreed upon, including the very worrying aspect of the buses location after the match which thankfully the Spanish have held up their end of the deal.

It is easy to overlook these guys when things go well, and heavily criticise them when things go wrong, so praise is due for a smoothly run trip from start to finish.

I would love to see these pre-trip meetings become the norm, not chaired by the fans, but run by the club as an information point. Knowing the information and the work that has gone into it was really invaluable, and it was really pleasing to see his good work in practice.

TB:

Everything you say above is good news and I hope it becomes the norm which would only help the club in any future representations they have to make to UEFA.

I will also say that our government should be doing much more.

If these were holidaymakers being routinely assaulted and disrespected, your damn sure the Foreign Office would be active.

Nevertheless TB, if the praise is justified then it has to be right to offer it. I've never seen much in Martin Bain until the last few weeks when, albeit from a distance, he seems to have either developed a bit of passion or else found the confidence to show it.

Agreed MF. I had been told often enough over the last couple of years that Martin is a good guy, one of us, well liked within the club by real Rangers people like Walter and Ally etc, and had always thought that he done a good job of hiding it then.

It is surely more than coincidence that all his best work seems to have come since Murray was booted out by the bank (sorry, resigned to spend more time on his other businesses), which means that perhaps I have been too harsh on the guy previously. However, with contract talks about to start with several kep players, and a transfer window looming, we will see how adept his skills are in these vital areas, that up until now appear to us mere simpletons to have not been good enough.

In fairness, I don't think there's anyone who could get the deals we are hoping for. With the club in the state it is, we're dealing with not only no aces, but hardly any cards. Indeed, the only card we have is to hope that the likes of Boyd, being a Bear, will allow emotion to overcome business sense. Plus, any buying clubs know we are goosed and that if we reject any bid above say, GBP1m, the bank are likely to start coughing.

Best of luck to The Man With The Tan, but I fear it's a hopeless task.