STEVE CONROY will take charge of his first Old Firm clash when Celtic and Rangers go head-to-head at Parkhead on January 3.

It will be 43-year-old Conroyââ?¬â?¢s first crack at handling an Old Firm clash ââ?¬â?? and the SFA are convinced he has what it takes to come through the biggest test in his refereeing career with flying colours.

Conroy has taken charge of games involving both Celtic and Rangers in the past, but this is his first oppor-tunity to be the man in the middle when they are facing each other.

The SFA aim to introduce a new batch of referees to the famous fixture.

The only top-flight officials who have taken charge of an Old Firm clash are Craig Thomson, Dougie McDonald and Calum Murray as the recent retirements of Kenny Clark and Stuart Dougal have left the SFA short of referees with Old Firm experience.

But Conroy is now believed to possess the credentials to cope with whatever the fixture might throw at him ââ?¬â?? and it is understood he has worked closely with refereesââ?¬â?¢ chief Hugh Dallas in recent times.

He did, however, send Walter Smith to the stand earlier this season as Rangers dropped two points against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

The whistler had earlier sent off Pedro Mendes in one of four red cards he has shown in 11 appearances this season. He has also issued 49 cautions in those matches.

Conroy was also in charge when Celtic drew at home to Dundee United earlier in the season as well as in their recent victory over St Mirren.

All the refs are terrible, not just Conroy. I don't think it'll make one jot of difference which one it is.

The thing I picked up though is that the guy is 43. So basically he'll hang around as a 'top' ref for a couple of years before being forced to retire by the SFA. Doesn't make sense to me. Surely they should fast track a guy who is younger and shows promise? If the SFA were to take a leaf from Walter's tree of pragmatism (ref today's Herald article), I reckon they could get fans and clubs on side and, crucially, buy some of these refs a bit of breathing space to develop their skill and experience.

I know mate. :(

At least he'll be getting scrutinized over every decision, so hopefully the pressure will be on him not to make any howlers or add unnecessary controversy!

Scrutinized over every Celtic "penalty". Any decisions that go against us will be ignored, they wont be as important as those which "cost" the tims victory. :devil: