Sporting Lisbon agree ââ??¬1.5m deal for Pedro Mendes

I'd be pleased enough if Mendes goes. We might need to turn to youngster like Ness at some point if Thomson & Edu drift in & out for the rest of the season, but I'd be delighted about someone like Ness getting some SPL games for us. When you count the youngsters like Ness, McMillan & Shinnie, we can definitely afford to lose Mendes & it'll free up enough cash to give Boyd the contract he fully deserves in line with our highest earning striker/s.

PEDRO Mendes last night admitted he'd be willing to leave Rangers - if it prevented others being offloaded in a January fire sale.

The Portuguese top earner is being tracked by Sporting Lisbon and insists he'd make the sacrifice if that benefited the cash-strapped Ibrox club.

Sporting want Mendes as a replacement for Fiorentina-bound midfielder Miguel Veloso and would be prepared to shell out �£1.5 million to land the 30-year-old.

Rangers would prefer the playmaker - who has spent the past two months sidelined with a knee injury - to remain in Glasgow at least until the end of the season.

But Walter Smith is not in a position to offer a new package beyond Mendes' current deal that expires in 18 months.

And the Rangers boss would not stand in Mendes' way if he manages to secure a lucrative long-term deal in his homeland.

This would ease the immediate pressure on the SPL champions to sell other prize assets including Allan McGregor, Kris Boyd and Madjid Bougherra.

Mendes said: "I do not know if they have to sell. But if they do then I wouldn't mind moving if it helped the club.

"I'm aware Rangers are not in a good financial position but to what extent I'mnot sure.

"Sporting are one of the great clubs in Portugal and I would be open to a proposal if Rangers let me leave.

"So far it is all just speculation as I have not spoken to Sporting yet and there has been no contact from the directors."

There is also interest in Mendes' signature from the Premiership.

But the player has admitted he's desperate to be part of Portugal's World Cup squad.

And Mendes believes he would have a better chance of impressing national boss Carlos Queiroz if he was playing in his own country .

Sporting - struggling in the Portuguese league and keen to complete a deal quickly - are poised to begin talks with Rangers and with Mendes' representative Jorg Mendes .

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2010/01/07/exclusive-pedro-mendes-ready-to-quit-ibrox-for-sake-of-his-rangers-teammates-86908-21948272/

I fear those hoping the Mendes wage will be re-directed toward Kris Boyd are being a mite optimistic.

At the club AGM last month the chairman and Bain suggested we didn't need to sell any players and were in a position to 'trade' our way through the transfer window if we needed to bring in new players and/or deliver new contracts.

I took that to mean we can't buy players unless we sell. If we sell Mendes for �£1.5-2million then that will help pay for a new contract for Boyd which I'd be happy enough about depending on the long term fitness of Thomson and Edu as well as the long-term future of Steven Davis.

Hello Hello.

New poster so treat me gently ! :spl:

My thoughts on this are that Mendes may be keen on a move back to his homeland in time for the run in to the World Cup.

After years in the international wilderness he only got called up recently. He is in no way assured of his place the the national squad, so maybe more exposure back in his home and will tempt him to move back. A crack at the WC is a huge temptation for any player.

I know he got picked for the national team whilst at Rangers, but methinks he may be very keen to make a stake for his place by playing in Portugal where he can maybe cement his squad place ?

Welcome to the forums mate!

Your point about his international prospects is a valid one. I doubt he'd play every week when he returns to fitness here (Davis and one of Thomson, Edu and McCulloch) are more likely so he may see this as an opportunity to move home without ruining his reputation with our fans.

Welcome to the forums mate!

Your point about his international prospects is a valid one. I doubt he'd play every week when he returns to fitness here (Davis and one of Thomson, Edu and McCulloch) are more likely so he may see this as an opportunity to move home without ruining his reputation with our fans.

Cheers mate.

I agree about his place in our team not being guaranteed week in week out. However, for me, McCulloch should never be ahead of him the pecking order. Mendes may not have set the heather completley alight in his time here, but IMO McCulloch couldn't lace his boots. But that's just my opinion.

If we're happy to let him go, I can't see Mendes stomping his feet and insisting that he wants to stay. It'll probably be a mutal thing with the club happy to let him go and him happy to get back to Portugal and get stuck in to trying to get his place in the WC squad.

Problem is Mendes and McCulloch are different types of players - one being the creative influence and the other a spoiler. As such, we're not going to ever play Mendes and Davis centrally so the latter (if he stays!) will play more often alongside Thomson, Edu or McCulloch to complement their styles.

With all the spoilers fit and playing well, McCulloch should be the least likely to play but neither Thomson or Edu have proved their fitness so big Lee will stay in the team for the time being - Hamilton in the SPL next week notwithstanding as he's suspended.

"I've not received an offer officially from Sporting, but that's normal. I'll decide the best option for me," he told Radio Renaiscenca.

"The final decision to sell is down to Rangers. If I receive an offer from Sporting it would be difficult to reject a club challenging for honours.

"Right now I'm focusing on getting fit and fighting for my place in the Portugal squad for the 2010 World Cup finals."

Wasn't too keen on that quote - seems a little insulting to us tbh.

As for the comments about him having a better chance of the world cup, well he was in the national team wilderness while playing for Portsmouth and Spurs, it was him being at Ibrox which gave him the call up. So if he struggled to be capped while in England, where plenty Portuguese players thrive and get picked for their country, what makes him think he stands a better chance in his homeland?