BOSNIAN stopper returns to training and should be fit for Well trip

More...

WALTER SMITH is hopeful Sasa Papac will return to action on Wednesday after missing Rangers' last two games with a knee injury.

The Bosnian defender had to come off early during the 3-0 win over Falkirk eight days ago at Ibrox when the problem flared up again.

It is something which has been hindering Papac in recent weeks but it wasn't until last Wednesday's League Cup semi-final with St Johnstone that he had to sit out a match.

He was also missing when Gers travelled to Paisley to play St Mirren in the Scottish Cup at the weekend.

But Papac returned to full training this morning and should be able to take his place at left-back in the crucial SPL fixture at Motherwell two days from now.

Manager Smith said: "We're hopeful Sasa will be fit for the trip to Fir Park. He doesn't miss many games and we're keen to get him back.

"He has missed the last couple of matches but he was out with the rest of the players today along with DaMarcus Beasley and Maurice Edu.

"As long as there's no reaction to him training, he should be able to return to the team in midweek."

Smith is close to finding himself with a fully-fit squad at last, although he maintains there are still a number of players he has to treat with care.

Kris Boyd, Beasley, Edu and Kenny Miller have all missed games recently and the Light Blues boss is appreciative of that.

He added: "What we've got to remember is that there are a few in the group who have missed a lot of football.

"It will take them a little bit of time to settle back in. Kenny has missed the least games so he isn't a big problem but we still have to take a bit of care with him.

"When we have three games a week, it can be awkward for him and we'll use him, Kris and the rest at the right times."

Edited by Frankie

It really is unbelievable how highly we rely on a centre back to play in a left back slot.

Watching Stevie Smith at the weekends game you'd have thought he was something from the third division compared to the ability of Papac.

Smith is a player i used to like, and fairs fair he hasn't had much of a crack over the last 3 years, but if you reason to keep him and get rid of the likes of Burke, Ross McCormack and the likes, it can really frustrate you as a supporter. I realise left back is a more difficult position to maintain high calibre players but he has no more potential than Burk or McCormack ever had.

Whatever happened to Greg Wylde? Surely if we're that short he should get a wee shot?

Must admit I was a bit disappointed with Smith as well on Saturday.

Thought he looked really share when he came on against Falkirk last weekend and he did OK at Hampden on Wednesday. However, he was poor at Love Street so the quicker we get the more reliable Papac back the better.

As much as Smith has blooded a few youngsters this season, I think, given the option he's go for the experienced player first even if - like in the case of his name-sake - they've not been playing all that often.

I wonder what Smith can do - he's been out with horrible injuries, has barely regained fitness much less match fitness and probably wont get 3 games in a row while he stays with us. I want Papac back as well, because he's consistent - but I do feel for Smith, and all the other players who are expected to come into the side despite not being match fit and give world beating performances. Hutton didn't get good until necessity gave him a run of a million games.

pyzamnothanks.jpg

Does anyone honestly still consider Papac being a centre back playing at left back? :confused:

Papac is so much better at left back than centre back it's untrue; i too find it strange that some people still refer to him as a CB playing at LB

Smith is painfully average but will leave in the summer with my best wishes

Played centre half against Celtic and gave away a needless penalty, though he had an overall decent game

Aye, bit unfortunate with the penalty but played well overall. Not the worst emergency centre back, but I would not want to rely on him regularly. Very impressive left back though.