Ooh er, they won't like this down Torbett Towers way...

Today, SCIAF supports over 80 long term development projects helping people affected by conflict, hunger, HIV/AIDS, lack of health care and disability. SCIAF also responds to humanitarian disasters, such as the southeast Asian tsunami and the long running conflict in Darfur, with emergency provisions and support.

In Scotland, SCIAF campaigns to address the underlying causes of global poverty and injustice, such as unfair trade and debt, by lobbying governments, businesses, and international organisations to bring about long-term change. SCIAF works closely with schools and young people across Scotland to educate the ‘decision makers of the future’ and give them opportunities to get involved in fighting global injustice.

Area Served: Asia, Africa & Latin America.

Do they teach Catholicism with the funds? Or do they just help people? If they just help people, there's nothing objectionable in that.

I don't know what they do with the funds but, given the vast number of alternative and worthy charities, it's obvious to me at least that McCoist chooses to support SCIAF for the sole purpose of ingratiating himself with people who might otherwise see him as occupying an opposing space. The contrast with Novo is that (for whatever reason) Nacho shows no such tendancy to ingratiate for the sake of massaging his own image and is obviously entirely happy with his own side of the fence. I'm grateful to him for that.

If McCoist wanted to raise funds for charity I'd suggest something altogether less partisan, like supporting disease relief, cure research, or something like Help for Heroes or Erskine Hospital. He may feel he's bridging the great divide by supporting something with as narrow a focus as SCIAF but I think he's a misguided tosser.

Charity support is a very personal choice for many people and we will all have our reasons for choosing certain charities to be the beneficiaries of our time and money. I certainly wouldn't dream of questioning anyone in that regard.

McCoist deserves the same tolerance so please refrain from making an issue out something that isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

:)

Area Served: Asia, Africa & Latin America.

Today, SCIAF supports over 80 long term development projects helping people affected by conflict, hunger, HIV/AIDS, lack of health care and disability. SCIAF also responds to humanitarian disasters, such as the southeast Asian tsunami and the long running conflict in Darfur, with emergency provisions and support.

In Scotland, SCIAF campaigns to address the underlying causes of global poverty and injustice, such as unfair trade and debt, by lobbying governments, businesses, and international organisations to bring about long-term change. SCIAF works closely with schools and young people across Scotland to educate the ââ?¬Ë?decision makers of the futureââ?¬â?¢ and give them opportunities to get involved in fighting global injustice.

For 2000 years the catholic church has acted as a vehicle for amassing wealth and power. If they're so concerned about the world's poor, perhaps they could put to better use the many billions of dollars under Vatican control.

I don't know what they do with the funds but, given the vast number of alternative and worthy charities, it's obvious to me at least that McCoist chooses to support SCIAF for the sole purpose of ingratiating himself with people who might otherwise see him as occupying an opposing space.

Well, certainly the symbolism is there, and what it symbolises is up for debate. I think it's probably the fear of ingratiating-sorts in you that makes this seem the most plausible explanation. I mean, I know catholic theology quite well, and detest it. There are, however, lots of excellent catholics despite their theological background. To me it's nothing more than a Rangers scarf in with the Celtic scarves when Tommy Burns died mixed with Ally trying to appropriate a sense of gravitas for himself if he's to be a future manager of stature. It's, I dunno, a little cringworthy, but not bad.

On the whole, I tend to think that Ally McCoist is a legend, and what he does with his own money is largely none of my concern.

The Catholic church's finances and activities are not something relevant to this thread or the Rangers forum.

By all means debate their and their charities' influence in the off-topic forum.

Charity support is a very personal choice for many people and we will all have our reasons for choosing certain charities to be the beneficiaries of our time and money. I certainly wouldn't dream of questioning anyone in that regard.

McCoist deserves the same tolerance so please refrain from making an issue out something that isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Ah, tolerance, that old smokescreen that everyone deserves the right to hide behind.:)

Well, certainly the symbolism is there, and what it symbolises is up for debate. I think it's probably the fear of ingratiating-sorts in you that makes this seem the most plausible explanation. I mean, I know catholic theology quite well, and detest it. There are, however, lots of excellent catholics despite their theological background. To me it's nothing more than a Rangers scarf in with the Celtic scarves when Tommy Burns died mixed with Ally trying to appropriate a sense of gravitas for himself if he's to be a future manager of stature. It's, I dunno, a little cringworthy, but not bad.

On the whole, I tend to think that Ally McCoist is a legend, and what he does with his own money is largely none of my concern.

Hey, like everything else I post, this is only my opinion. But perhaps the telling aspect was not the choice or the donation .... but the publicity so obviously cultivated and enjoyed as a result.

SCIAF is probably one of the few really good things the RC church in Scotland is involved in or at least that's certainly how it appears. I don't know the story, but an educated guess is that Coisty has only gotten involved in it because he is good friends with some people (maybe x-footballers) who invited him to a fundraiser or two. I don't see how that would be a problem unless you deem contributions to the charity as helping fund the wages of kiddie fiddlers.