SPL POTY Contenders?

Reading a thread elsewhere about this made me think.

Davis, Bougherra, Boyd, Weir are all in with a shout. Stokes will no doubt make the list of contenders. They normally announce a shortlist of 4. Can't think of a single one of them who deserves it.

Anyone I may have missed?

At least one Tim will definately make the list, just to be fair eh? Probably McGeady or N'Guemo, even though neither deserve it

No doubt. And as Davis will likely win it (I don't see him as being so clearly ahead of Boogie and Boyd that others do btw) no one will bat an eyelid. But if a Tim does make it, the question should be asked on what basis? Not one of them has had a better season than Davis, Boyd, Bougherra, Weir, McCulloch, Shagger or Miller.

Stokes I could understand, excellent goal return for a team outwith the Old Firm and he's not merely a goalscorer.

McCulloch and Davis should definately make the final cut, and Davis should win it

Don't see Bougie as a contender unless he has a great end to the season. He's only started 14 of our 26 games.

Didn't realise he'd missed as many as that tbh. I guess it's because he strolls through each and every game and is one of the few class acts in the league.

I still think we could easily fill the shortlist ourselves and arguably should.

That would be an unfair reflection on the league, to be honest. It's a poor standard but there are decent players at other teams. Two Rangers plus 2 others would better reflect the idea behind the award.

Surely the idea is to pick the best player? The usual format is to announce a shortlist of 4 (even though the winner is known when the announcement is made I believe :confused:) who have polled most votes.

I don't think it's wrong to argue that we could comfortably fill those four slots and arguably should. Perhaps only Anthony Stokes might be deserving of breaking into the shortlist.

I know it wont happen that way. But as I say, it should be the 4 best players on the shortlist for the POTY and if they happen to play for one club who will most likely win the league at a canter and league cup (and maybe the treble) then tough shit. :D

Didnt Caldwell some how win this last year though?

Id say McGregor should be up there with any of that names. Some of his saves and performances have been top notch and worth a few points. The save at parkhead in the 1-1 game was incredible and away to Falkirk he had an outstanding double save while we were drawing from which we went up the park and scored.

POTY McGregor for me followed by Davis.