This, then, is where we stand as the group considering a takeover of Scotland's champions-elect enters into a period of due diligence, during which they will consider the club's finances in detail. Assuming it is all not some Rangers-driven wheeze to boost season-ticket sales, Ellis must have something that appeals to the club – if not money, then the strategy that can provide it – but if he is being manipulated by the wrong men, it will count for nothing.

+++++++++++++++++++++

The irony is that another council-related development plan has been suggested as a possible incentive in the takeover of Rangers. Less than two years ago, the club were in discussions with Glasgow City Council, which agreed in principle to sell them land in the nearby Hinshelwood area. The talk was of a multi-million pound hotel and retail complex that could lead to the redevelopment of Ibrox Stadium.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sos-sports-columnists/Paul-Forsyth-Andrew-Ellis-uncovered.6150348.jp

Notwithstanding that the land negotiations are not as recent as the rags would have us believe, do Rangers in fact own the land has it been sold to the club, or is it still only in principal, if we do not own it how is it to be purchased if that is the aim.

If as the writer alludes to it is all a bums on seats wheeze, there is only one possible suspect, some people never step down.

Firstly, I don't see how it can be a scheme to boost season tickets, given that no plans have been announced and, if anything, it has created more uncertainty in the support.

As for the land, it has not been sold to the club as far as I am aware. I'm not sure that it was ever the plan that Rangers themselves were to buy it. I've heard people say that PPG own it, but I don't think that a transfer of ownership ever went through before the funding for the project disappeared.

There certainly could be opportunity to resurrect the project for anyone who does buy us, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for the club, even if it were not directly invovled in the project initially.

getting this league tied up will take care of season ticket sales , as for the rest who knows only time will tell , however when the great manipulator of smoke and mirrors finally goes that's when I crack open the champagne , and I for one cannot wait

With you all the way there RBR, I am just interested to know how land that we apparently do not own has allegedly become a major selling and future development part of the proposed deal. What parts of the club would have to be sacrificed if any to finance this land purchase, assuming it is still available and does not turn into a bidding war with some spoiling party.

One more thing, I have seen on other places that no official announcement has been made as to the execution of due diligence, is this correct or do we know for certain it has actually been entered into.

Latest claims. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/03/14/andrew-ellis-claims-he-is-close-to-sealing-deal-to-buy-rangers-86908-22110084/

PS is it possible to apply for and get outline planning permission for land you don't own.

Edited by wabashcannonball

With that I concur Mainflyer, further from the cooncil discussions.

After consideration, the committee

(a) noted that

(i) RFC was developing new proposals for the redevelopment of the Ibrox Stadium precinct;

(ii) the project would make a very significant contribution to the regeneration of the Govan area; and

(iii) the precinct project area included land and facilities owned and operated by the Council, and land

owned by Glasgow Housing Association and Strathclyde Partnership for Transport;

(b) agreed, in principle, to dispose of its land holdings within the Ibrox Stadium precinct area to facilitate

the development and delivery of the stadium precinct project;

© authorised the Executive Director of Development and Regeneration Services to enter into an option

agreement which would give Rangers Football Club an option to purchase Council-owned land and any

land transferring to the Council from GHA within the Ibrox Stadium precinct area, on terms yet to be

agreed; and

(d) noted that a further report outlining the full terms of the option agreement and the proposed development

timescales would be brought back to committee for approval in due course.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/48242015-3DFC-44C9-8A4E-2E4DD832AF20/0/PRINT4200809.pdf (executive 423)