I'm honestly no bigger or less a fan of Weir than anyone else - I just appreciate watching good football when I see it and in the absence of excitement at Ibrox nowadays, I tend to keep a close eye on how Weir plays and he really is interesting to watch off the ball.

Neither do I think he's the future but if he can be as good as he has done this season (and before) then I see no reason why he shouldn't stay at the club. It's not as if he'll lose any pace as he's never had any for over ten years!

His reliable appearance record alone and incredible fitness lend weight to another year's contract.

Without denigrating what the man has undeniably done for the club, do we really want a 40 year old defender playing for us in the CL?

That's the kind of thing which will see results next year like this season's. It's a curious notion that our best result, a draw in Germany, which saw our best display, was the only match he didn't feature in.

Weir has his limits, and the SPL and his age are those limits.

I mean, even Paolo Maldini knew when to call it a day.

Without denigrating what the man has undeniably done for the club, do we really want a 40 year old defender playing for us in the CL?

That's the kind of thing which will see results next year like this season's. It's a curious notion that our best result, a draw in Germany, which saw our best display, was the only match he didn't feature in.

Weir has his limits, and the SPL and his age are those limits.

I mean, even Paolo Maldini knew when to call it a day.

We will see results like last year's regardless of having Davie Weir playing or not. We dont have the funds to purchase players who would vastly improve the team.

For the foreseeable future the CL is nothing more than a bonus for us.

Yes, it is a curious notion that our best result was one in which he didnt play - doesnt provide any evidence that it was due to this fact though.

We are likely to be losing Bougherra in the summer and we still dont know if any of those funds would be made available to the manager for a replacement.

The SPL is where it matters most to us and I think I would rather have a 40 or 41 yr old Davie Weir playing at CB than Kirk Broadfoot or Lee McCulloch - because if Bougherra leaves and Weir retires then we are left with Wilson and....... no-one of note.

We will see results like last year's regardless of having Davie Weir playing or not. We dont have the funds to purchase players who would vastly improve the team.

For the foreseeable future the CL is nothing more than a bonus for us.

Yes, it is a curious notion that our best result was one in which he didnt play - doesnt provide any evidence that it was due to this fact though.

We are likely to be losing Bougherra in the summer and we still dont know if any of those funds would be made available to the manager for a replacement.

The SPL is where it matters most to us and I think I would rather have a 40 or 41 yr old Davie Weir playing at CB than Kirk Broadfoot or Lee McCulloch - because if Bougherra leaves and Weir retires then we are left with Wilson and....... no-one of note.

My naive hope is that we form a CB partnership of Wilson and Bougherra next season. Too much to ask for?

I think he's been the best signing we've made in a long time tbh. Just a shame we didn't sign him 10 years ago.

If Bougherra is for the off after the WC, then maybe it is worth another season for Weir, alongside Webster and swapping with Wilson for some games.

There have been times where I've felt we've played far too deep and I thought that was because of Weir's pace, but with hindsight I think it was more down to games where our midfield weren't in control. For the SPL and even in Europe, I think Weir's lack of pace is the least of our problems!

The chances of us holding on to Bougherra aren't that great tbh.

Indeed, hence my awareness of being naive about it.

tbh though seeing as he's up for POTY, a backline of Webster and Wilson might not be the end of the world.

I think he's been the best signing we've made in a long time tbh. Just a shame we didn't sign him 10 years ago.

If Bougherra is for the off after the WC, then maybe it is worth another season for Weir, alongside Webster and swapping with Wilson for some games.

There have been times where I've felt we've played far too deep and I thought that was because of Weir's pace, but with hindsight I think it was more down to games where our midfield weren't in control. For the SPL and even in Europe, I think Weir's lack of pace is the least of our problems!

I disagree. I think our defence, as it is, with Weir in place, will be torn to pieces next year in the CL. I don't have any reason to believe otherwise.

I know I probably come across as far too harsh on our captain, it just bothers me that a team like us, trying to build for the future and grow to a point we can compete credibly in Europe would have Weir in defence.

I disagree. I think our defence, as it is, with Weir in place, will be torn to pieces next year in the CL. I don't have any reason to believe otherwise.

I know I probably come across as far too harsh on our captain, it just bothers me that a team like us, trying to build for the future and grow to a point we can compete credibly in Europe would have Weir in defence.

I can't see how replacing Weir will suddenly make us a force to be reckoned with in Europe. My first choice would be for a Bougherra and Webster partnership next season, but if we do have to go with Weir, I still think we would have bigger problems in our team selection tbh. Just my opinion though.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't be having this conversation I guess.