DAVID Weir arrived at Ibrox as a stop-gap central defender on a short term salvage mission. It has turned into a quite remarkable three-and-a-half-year extension of his top flight playing career which will see him savour both collective and individual glory on Sunday.

In the afternoon, the Rangers captain will step forward to collect the SPL trophy after the final match of the champions' season at Ibrox against Motherwell. A few hours later, Weir will be the centre of attention at a gala awards dinner in Glasgow when he receives the Scottish Football Writers' Association's Player of the Year honour.

Weir, who will celebrate his 40th birthday on Monday, has earned the grateful and enduring affection of Rangers supporters for his contribution to the on-field success they have enjoyed over the past three years against a backdrop of financial uncertainty.

His longevity and consistency has defied logic. The veteran defender has missed only three SPL matches since Walter Smith recruited him from Everton on an initial six-month contract back in January 2007. Six major trophy wins and a Uefa Cup final appearance later, Weir continues to shrug aside talk of retirement.

"I'm keen to play on and enjoy it," he said. "But it would have to be right for me and not just for the sake of it. Until something is put in front of me, I can't give a definitive answer.

"I genuinely don't know what will happen in terms of staying at Rangers. The manager has been asked the same question about his own future and I don't think we are in a position to answer. No-one knows how the land lies at the club or how it will lie. It's a case of wait and see.

"There are six players out of contract, including me, along with the coaching staff. It's a strange circumstance, but that's the way it is. I would imagine it might be quite late in the summer before a decision is made about me."

Weir may not be short of alternative options. He is close to completing the full set of coaching badges and is sure to be regarded as a suitable candidate for a step into management. While he maintains his policy of never trying to anticipate what the future holds, however, Weir is fairly certain he will not seek to combine playing with a coaching role.

"I don't think player-manager is doable for me," he said. "It's a hard job. Playing is hard enough without being a boss too and having to compromise on both jobs. I'd never close any doors, but I'd say it is unlikely.

"I just hope to stay in football. It wouldn't be through choice if I found myself out of the game. I love the game, whether it is playing it, watching it or talking about it. But there are a lot of people out of a job in football and chasing just a few posts.

"Football is changing and you have to be realistic as a lot of people want jobs. I've done well out of the game, so I won't feel hard done by if I don't get a job. But I hope to stay in football one way or another."

Wherever his career path takes him, Weir will always cherish the time he has spent wearing the colours of the club he supported as a boy.

"It has exceeded expectations, without a shadow of a doubt," he added. "I just came to Rangers for a few months, to try and help stabilise the club. The target back then was just to make sure we finished second in the SPL. By Rangers' standards, what we were aiming for was not high.

"So to go from that to winning championships and cups has been incredible. You can't underestimate the achievements here over the last three years and how the manager has turned the club around during difficult times.

"You don't really get time to savour things here, because there is always another story breaking about Rangers and another game to get ready for. But maybe when the season ends on Sunday, we can take in just how big an achievement it has been to win the title again.

"I don't really think about winning the league on a personal level, but I am looking forward to Sunday and the trophy presentation. It is a massive achievement. Retaining the trophy was huge for us. We won it last year after chasing Celtic all the time.

"That was a massive sense of joy, but this year was a new challenge and a bigger test. It was a relief to win it because it was harder. I'm proud of this, because good Rangers teams in the past haven't won championships. Hopefully this means the current crop will be remembered as a good team."

Weir's coronation as Scotland's top player at the age of 39, the oldest winner of the award, may be regarded as evidence of a lack of quality among his younger colleagues. He insists, however, that the Scottish game has cause for optimism.

"I genuinely don't think we are in too bad a shape," he said. "I watched Sunderland against Manchester United last week and two Scots, Craig Gordon and Darren Fletcher, were the best players on the pitch. Then you look at the Championship, where guys like Charlie Adam are outstanding every time you see them play.

"There is still Scottish talent out there, just maybe not the strength in depth of it that there used to be. But we do have people coming through, like Danny Wilson and John Fleck at Rangers. There are a lot of good things happening in Scottish football."

While Weir was typically self-effacing when informed of his Football Writers' Association's Player of the Year award, he was clearly thrilled to see his name added to a star-studded roll of honour stretching back to 1965.

"I must admit, I did look up the previous winners and that's when it strikes home what it means. It goes all the way back to the likes of John Greig and Billy McNeill, so to be in that company is great." :spl:

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Evergreen-Weir-not-ready-to.6279136.jp

Good news. At the end of every season we say the same thing "he'll be a bit part player" but he's the 1st name on the team sheet every week.

Keep up the good work.