Zola Sacked As West Ham Manager

Breaking News on BBC Website.

West Ham have sacked manager Gianfranco Zola after less than two years in charge at Upton Park.

The former Chelsea player, who had no previous managerial experience at club level, took over from Alan Curbishley in September 2008.

He signed a new four-year deal towards the end of his first term as West Ham finished ninth in the Premier League.

But this season they struggled and ended the season in 17th place, only five points above the relegation zone.

More to follow

I reckon he'll go back to serie A and do pretty well. Wasn't the right job for him.

It was also the first job for him. I think for a rookie manager he did brilliantly in his first season, but it fell apart in the second one and he got the blame as that's where the buck stops.

Saw his wierd interview on Sky this afternoon. I say wierd because he didn't really want to talk about it but brought all the reporters and cameramen outside his house a pot of coffee and tea.

Should have been sacked 3 months ago.

Nice guy, legend on the park but didnt know what he was doing this season at all. West Ham's squad on paper should be easily mid table and to struggle behind Wigan and Wolves is unacceptable.

Hopefully Martin Jol gets the job although Bilic and Avram Grant are favourites with Sparky Hughes a contendor.